Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When to open the pool for the season?

1. Back To Top    #1

When to open the pool for the season?

Is it too soon to open? I'm located in Central Virginia. The weather is warm some days then cool. Almost time for serious pollen. I have a loop lock cover which lets in the pollen is it best to open soon before it settles on the bottom? I converted to BBB last season and know how important it is to open before it gets too swampy. Thanks for any input.
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: When to open the pool for the season?

I don't close my pool for the winter but if I lived where the water freezes, as soon as the water temp gets above 50 degrees or so, I would open the pool. The reason being if you wait too long, you will have a bigger mess to clean up.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in central Massachusetts. I opened today. Water is 45 degrees. If it freezes now, it will only get to 28 or so. Water was crystal clear with a 3 ppm FC, 0 CC.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

We have similar conditions; I’m a tad earlier than you with the pollen & temperature.
    Like he said, once above 50F & you won’t have a mess.
    I go by the 60F, don’t let it get to 60F, so I open around 55F.
    You’ll have that pollen with or without the cover on; with the cover on- you get less sunlight & less pollen, with the cover off- you can zap pollen with chemicals & filtration. The temperature is the controlling factor
    What I learned is that it is very important to test & add chemicals over the winter ( really just acid & chlorine; I didn’t measure anything else- should I have?)
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm in Central MD and I opened mine on Monday. The only disadvantage that I see that I have is that I'm getting a LOT of **** from the trees and I'm doing a lot of vacumming on the deck, hand skimming, cleaning out skimmers and running my pool cleaner each day. I think there is a real tradeoff when you have trees around your pool.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    I'm in Central MD and I opened mine on Monday. The only disadvantage that I see that I have is that I'm getting a LOT of **** from the trees and I'm doing a lot of vacumming on the deck, hand skimming, cleaning out skimmers and running my pool cleaner each day. I think there is a real tradeoff when you have trees around your pool.
    I agree, I have a lot of trees around mine. I keep a a solar cover on it and it helps. Opened mine 1 1/2 weeks ago to 55 degree water. Cleaned it up and put the solar cover on. It was at 69 degrees yesterday and my 5 year old was swimming!
    17,500 gallon 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter
    Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG 35K, Raypak R6350TI-E HeatPump
    Solar cover, Loop Lok winter Cover
    Artisian Antigua hot tub, Polk Atrium 4's

7. Back To Top    #7

Brrrrrr.....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Not enough time in the week to get the solar cover up and running. It's still a rectangle and needs to be become a Kidney shape and needs cut. Maybe this weekend. It's also been awfully windy here in MD.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Like X, I am in central Maryland as well, and am opening today.

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm a newbie in NJ, but we plan to open The weekend of April 23rd. It's our first opening and I wanted get to it before it starts too get hot in case we have any kinks to work out. We are also hosting Mother's day and I'd rather my company look at a blue pool than a black cover. I don't care that we prob. won't be in it until late May.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

If you have the mesh cover, as opposed to the solid, you should at least get the pump and filtration going and the chemicals balanced. You can leave the cover on for a while if you're not ready to fully open.

You can take water samples from the skimmer to test and you can pull back a corner of the cover to add chemicals as needed.

You might want to remove the cover to get everything started and clean, and then put the cover back on.

Even if you're not going to swim, it's still nice to look out and see the pool open, so you might just want to leave the cover off.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW
    If you have the mesh cover, as opposed to the solid, you should at least get the pump and filtration going and the chemicals balanced. You can leave the cover on for a while if you're not ready to fully open.
    Careful, may bleach that cover?

You can take water samples from the skimmer to test and you can pull back a corner of the cover to add chemicals as needed.

You might want to remove the cover to get everything started and clean, and then put the cover back on.
    Thats a neat idea

Even if you're not going to swim, it's still nice to look out and see the pool open, so you might just want to leave the cover off.
    Agree

With a mesh cover, I have found to let the rain overfill the pool when freezing is no longer a concern. When I uncover the pool, I take the first 2 days , without the pump on, & just brush all the debris towards the drain, maybe 4-5x/day, & very gently to keep the crud on the floor not in the water, brush super slow. Then I turn the pump on & vac it to waste again with very gentle brushing into the drain. The pool is over filled so you don’t need that water. I vac to waste until I get the water level I want.
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for all the input. Became a grandma for the first time a week ago today so I've been out of town. I took a peek and took some samples it looks great. I hope to get the top off this week and stay ahead of the game.
    As always great help.
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA