Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scum Line

1. Back To Top    #1
    Katy, Tx

Scum Line

What's the best way to clean the scum line once I drain the hot tub, what cleaner works best. Also, while full and running, what should I be putting in to help prevent the scum line. I'm currently running bromine, and shocking once a week.

Pool - 18' Doughboy Above Ground Vinyl, 7600 Gallons, 1HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix pump, Hayward Star Clear Cartridge Filter C500 50 GPM flow rate, Hasa Chlorine Injector, Pool Rover Vacuum, Taylor K-2005 Testkit - Hot Tub - Artesian Pelican Bay, 550 Gallons, Ozone, Nature 2 Mineral Sanatizer, Bromine floater.

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Scum Line

If it's stuck on gook, not calcium, a Mr Clean's Magic Eraser works well usually. Terry cloth rags and Spray-Nine also works well. Just remember to rinse it after.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Bradenton, FL

Re: Scum Line

Every water change, I always used a citrus based cleaner to clean it down to just past the water line. Stubborn stuff might need a magic eraser, like poolguy mentioned. After cleaning, I'd rinse it all down and wax (with hot tub wax) the tub down to just below the water line as well. The wax really kept junk from sticking too much between changes. The cleaner and wax I used were Leisure Time brand because that's what the local store carried. I imagine there are plenty of options out there. Just make sure whatever it is, it's safe to be using in a hot tub. Because,try as you might, you won't get it all rinsed and drained out... Don't want to be bathing in stuff that will hurt you!

Also, they make foam floaters that float on the surface and catch some of the gunk that eventually finds it's way to the sides. You just take them out and rinse occasionally.
    Author of The Pool Tool for Windows Phone 7.
    8,600gal PebbleTec, Pentair 2hp, Cartridge Filter, Solar Heat. Hopefully SWG Soon!
    Old -- 22,600gal Vinyl Inground, Hayward 1.5hp, 350# Sand Filter w/ZeoBrite, Color Logic, Aqua Rite SWG. Computer geek.