Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck for pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck for pool

Hi,

I am asking for some information if you have a deck......What type of wood did you use or if you can tell me good wood to use....

Railing ideas? And if you could post pics of your deck.

We are wanting a deck completely around our pool. The pool is oval, here is what we are planning demension wise,

3-4 feet on front straight side and both curved sides, 8-10 feet on back straight side. Railing on short sides and back straight side.....steps up to deck will be the complete lenth of the front straight side (can you picture it?)

Our install date for pool is 4/25 if there isn't a rain delay. I thought of one more question, should we wait to do a deck for any settling

or can we build it this summer?

Thanks!!!
    15x30x54 AquaLeader Sentinelle AGP
    2 HP 2 Speed Hayward SwimPro Voyager Pump
    Hayward SwimPro Voyager 150 sq. ft. Filter
    Hayward H series millivolt 150 btu Heater
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck for pool

I am in the process of designing and quoting now
    My best price so far was a local small outfit @ 23 per sq ft using Home Depot Veranda composite (redwood) installed including railings (Veranda white with black balusters) and also includes full steps (so you can't see the pool under the steps etc..) and low voltage LED accent lights on steps and aorund the pool lip of the deck and 14 per sq ft using wood decking

get the pool in first then your utility runs too and then the deck!
    You sound like your looking for a pretty big deck so be prepared for some sticker shock... using 23 per sq ft... I ll say your looking at ~13K minimum for composite or around ~8K in Wood or around 575 Sq Ft. using 4ft widths and 10 foot on the big side (8 is too small)

My advice if you do nothing else... buy composite (whatever make model etc... but not wood deck because you will be consumed by maintenance (stain, sanding etc.. every year or two until your dead unless you let it go to rot and why do that with all the money you put into it) the cost of stain is high and the amount of time you spend staining and not swimming is huge!

he won't come to Illinois I'll wager (Cleveland) but take a look at his site for ideas http://www.decksandeffects.net/deckspergolasramps.htm
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Oasis...i have an oval as well...ours was made of pressure treated wood...materials went about $1400...as far as shape we chose to go this route...hope this helps:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks all for your amazingly helpful advice! Bo

18x33 Morada pool, 14,100 Gal - 2HP, 2SPD W/Skimmer and Caplet Basket, 125 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System – 8 Gal LQ - TF-100.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

God Bless America!

4. Back To Top    #4

LOL, here's ours! We purchased pressure treated wood last summer to do a splash deck and hope to get the deck built this summer. We opted for the pressure treated wood over composite for a couple of reasons. First was cost and second, we are in our 60's and this pool is for the grandkids that live nearby. By the time the pool and deck need replaced, these kids will be off to college and we will be of an age that we'll just take the whole shebang down.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Robins Airman
    Oasis...i have an oval as well...ours was made of pressure treated wood...materials went about $1400...as far as shape we chose to go this route...hope this helps:
    Thanks for the replies and pics everyone!

Robins Airman - how many feet are on the small side and where you have the chairs?
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Here are a few of mine...Trex saddle and white composite railings

24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1
    Thanks for the replies and pics everyone!

Robins Airman - how many feet are on the small side and where you have the chairs?
    Roughly 15'x3' on the long side walkway and 10'x12' in the 'lounge' area...the kids love the walkway...and it makes the pool that much safer. Hope this helps.

Bo

18x33 Morada pool, 14,100 Gal - 2HP, 2SPD W/Skimmer and Caplet Basket, 125 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System – 8 Gal LQ - TF-100.

God Bless America!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Here are a few of mine...Trex saddle and white composite railings

That is just awesome...Bo

God Bless America!

9. Back To Top    #9

Roughly 15'x3' on the long side walkway and 10'x12' in the 'lounge' area...the kids love the walkway...and it makes the pool that much safer. Hope this helps.

Bo
    Are you happy with 3 feet? Or would you have gone 4 or 5 feet on the side? That's the width we're planning on, I'm just not sure about size.
    TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Bo
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is my Drawing

This is Home Depot - Verdana Redwood with White Rails Aztek vinyl Lattice on the bottom with 2 access doors (1 per side)
    8600 total

Do to varying heights (Pool lip is higher than the exit out of the house...so we have a small transition piece leading to the main deck.... Which I like the green space to the left and right of hte transition because I can be close to the pool and put my small fire pit there for evening burns and still see/hear kids

The transition area will also house my grill... and by "2" and "E" Instead of an angle deck we are opening that up since he said it is easier to build the corner out than to angle it (Without increasing my cost for the square footage increase)

I have an easy setup 12x12 coleman canopy that will fit perfectly on top when needed too
    Attached Images Attached Images
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

Bo
    Are you happy with 3 feet? Or would you have gone 4 or 5 feet on the side? That's the width we're planning on, I'm just not sure about size.
    We are good with 3'...4-5' would have been better...but we did not want to even get close to the septic system...3' has worked really well though...hope this helps!

Bo

God Bless America!