Reworking filter/sanitization

onewomanarmy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2011
I’m a fairly new pool owner – bought the house last year and had a pool for the first time last season. Did a lot of reading on this board in order to survive our first year – and am happy to say that none of us grew a third arm or came down with any other kind of weird mutations and the water was clear all season. Not completely sure I did everything correctly but figured that was a successful pool season. :cheers:

Now that I’ve got the generalities of pool care down, I’m starting to look into making some improvements to our system. We did have to replace the pump early last year – but everything else is fairly old and I’ve got a few questions. We’ve been talking about going to a SWG and in the process are considering replacing our sand filter. We noticed under the return on the steps that there was always a little bit of sand. We’re not completely sure this is from the filter as the concrete around the pool does seem to have some breakdown and generate some sand. On top of this, our multi-port is kinda limping along according to the guys that opened the pool for us last year. They thought we could still get some use out of it but suspected it would need to be replaced at some point. I figure if we are going to have to replace it, and are going to get a SWG, we might as well go ahead and get everything arranged the way we’d like and not have to worry about being in a situation where something has quit working and needs to be replaced mid-season.

So. I’m looking for some guidance. Our pool is approx 30,000 gallons, inground, oval/rectangular, vinyl and located in Central Ky. Haven't opened it for the season yet. Current sand filter is a Hayward S245T and is being run by a Pentair Superflow 1HP. Pool gets full sun from early morning to mid-evening. No main drain. Use a robotic cleaner during the season. Currently has a chlorine feeder. Also owned by a couple of dogs who love swimming – so they are in the pool pretty regularly. Me and my robot spend a lot of time cleaning dog hair out of the pool! :roll:

Any suggestions filter/SWG-wise would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been doing some reading and will continue to do so – there’s a wealth of information here! It’s my understanding that a larger capacity SWG than the pool size is worth considering (ie the next step up in cell size). Considering the AquaRite and possibly the CircuPool – though doesn’t look like there’s a lot of feedback on the CircuPool line yet. AutoPilot has also caught my eye but seems like that was more expensive. Haven’t yet started doing much research on the size of the sand filter (or if I want to move to something different) but will be doing that also. Last year, we ran the filter continuously – I don’t think I necessarily need to do that and am guessing it’s even less desirable to do so with a SWG in the system? Assume that would mean needing to get some sort of timer/automation system set up. Wondered if leaving the chlorine feeder in the system would be a good idea since we already have it – don’t really see how it would be a problem and thought it might be a nice back up…?

Our goal, of course, is to make things as easy as possible. Ultimately my goal is to have the pool so easy to take care of that if something happens to me (pool-taker-care-of person) it will be easily manageable for my better half, who has some medical disability due to MS. Given this, we are also looking at getting a solar cover along with the water powered Auto Reel. Wouldn’t mind any feedback on this piece of equipment (FeherGuard Auto Reel) as well!

Whew!
Thanks for reading through my chaos! Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated - in the meantime I'm heading back to the forums to do some more reading!

Hi, welcome to TFP! :wave: I will try to answer as best I can. I will break the post into segments and answer in red.
onewomanarmy said:
So. I’m looking for some guidance. Our pool is approx 30,000 gallons, inground, oval/rectangular, vinyl and located in Central Ky. Haven't opened it for the season yet. Current sand filter is a Hayward S245T and is being run by a Pentair Superflow 1HP. Pool gets full sun from early morning to mid-evening. No main drain. Use a robotic cleaner during the season. Currently has a chlorine feeder. Also owned by a couple of dogs who love swimming – so they are in the pool pretty regularly. Me and my robot spend a lot of time cleaning dog hair out of the pool! :roll:
A skimmer sock will help catch the hair before it gets to the filter. If you run the pump while the dogs are swimming and use the skimmer sock it will help catch the hair before it sinks to the bottom. You can either buy skimmer socks at the pool store, or make your own out of some knee high stockings. Skip the ultra sheer kind, in this case you want a good sturdy nylon! Skimmer socks are about the weight and texture of tights.

Any suggestions filter/SWG-wise would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been doing some reading and will continue to do so – there’s a wealth of information here! It’s my understanding that a larger capacity SWG than the pool size is worth considering (ie the next step up in cell size). Considering the AquaRite and possibly the CircuPool – though doesn’t look like there’s a lot of feedback on the CircuPool line yet. AutoPilot has also caught my eye but seems like that was more expensive.
Yes, getting a size up will extend the life of the cell, (at least in theory). Life of the cell depends on how well you care for it and how long you run it.

Haven’t yet started doing much research on the size of the sand filter (or if I want to move to something different) but will be doing that also.
The sand filter is the simplest to take care of. Rarely does it need to be opened up or taken apart for maintainance. DE and Cartridge filters will filter finer debris, but they require more labor intensive cleaning. If you decide on another sand filter, bigger is better. The bigger the filter the less often you have to clean/backwash it.

Last year, we ran the filter continuously – I don’t think I necessarily need to do that and am guessing it’s even less desirable to do so with a SWG in the system? Assume that would mean needing to get some sort of timer/automation system set up.
Yes, a SWG can be set up on a timer so it will run "x" hours per day. Many folks with 2 speed or variable speed pumps will run the pump on low 24/7. As long as you get 1 turn over of water a day how long you run it through the filter is a matter of choice.

Wondered if leaving the chlorine feeder in the system would be a good idea since we already have it – don’t really see how it would be a problem and thought it might be a nice back up…?
Pucks for everyday use are not a good idea, however if you need to go out of town for a few days (and you don't have a SWG) they can be useful in moderation. As long as the chlorinator is not leaking I would leave it in. If you decide to replumb the whole pad then I would not plumb it back in.

Our goal, of course, is to make things as easy as possible. Ultimately my goal is to have the pool so easy to take care of that if something happens to me (pool-taker-care-of person) it will be easily manageable for my better half, who has some medical disability due to MS. Given this, we are also looking at getting a solar cover along with the water powered Auto Reel. Wouldn’t mind any feedback on this piece of equipment (FeherGuard Auto Reel) as well!
Sorry, I don't know anything about the auto reel. I'll have to look into that!

Whew!
Thanks for reading through my chaos! Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated - in the meantime I'm heading back to the forums to do some more reading!

I hope I was able to answer your questions to your satisfaction. Have a great summer and enjoy your pool!

Thanks for the info, Zea! I am planning on trying a pool sock this year - will be interesting to see what kind of difference it makes!

Warm enough here today (now that the thunderstorms/hail has moved through!) to wish the pool was open already!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.