Price Quote For verm. Floor/and pool kit from local builder

deer hunter

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2010
Central Illinois
I am in the process of getting my pennies in order. I was given a quote by a builder who stated he would put in my vermiculite floor for $1200. (18x36, 3.5' to 5' deep) This is with me mixing and caring the verm. to the pool and him troweling it. it is labor only no materials included. Is this a good price?

Re: Price Quote For verm. Floor

Welcome to TFP!!

It all depends...

What else does he include in the price - is he going to 'string out' the pool (stringing out is marking the transition points and running a string between them, at the proper height, so that the floor matches to the liner), will he come back the next day and patch any areas that need it ?

How good is he? (have you seen any of his prior work - if he can provide an ABSOLUTELY flat finished product, it might be worth it)

$1200 sounds a bit high for 1 person doing ~ a day's worth of work, especially since you have to do the mixing and hauling [if I charged that much, I'd have to grow a beard, because I wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror to shave :lol: ] $1200 I could see if he were bringing a couple guys to help him, that he had to pay, but - for a solo act- it seems ~1/3 too high :|

Having someone who has troweled vermiculite before will certainly save you a bunch of work and probably result in a better finished product, but you need to insure that it's worth the price :)

Re: Price Quote For verm. Floor/and pool kit from local buil

Well I just got a bid back from a builder in my area for a DIY kit.18x36 sentry brand walls, 20mil liner, 1.5 pump, sand filter, one skimmer, two returns, two main drains, light all plumbing parts ladder and 18' wide steel entry steps for the deep end. Now this is just for the kit, no labor on his part at all. I about lost it. $19,500

I can recommend Royalswimmingpools.com
Good price, good customer service, excellent BBB rating.

My 18x36 deer creek kit came in at about half that price quote, including many options, like 2 speed pump, larger filter, Colorlogic lights, 2 swim out steps and 20 bags of vermiculite. I received discounts for wire transferring the money and picking it up here in Atlanta.
(I'm estimating another 5 to 7k more to finish, depending on what is hired out and how much decking).

Extension 712 is Johnny, good salesman to deal with, no pressure at all, just facts and information.

Best of luck, John

Yeah, that's nuts. There are builders in my area offering finished pools at that price. Find someone else or check out the online kit sellers. In addition to rv4hess's recommendation of Royal, a few others are PolarPools.com, DIYpools.com, and the one I chose to go with PoolManDan.com. I went with Dan because he was more concerned about getting my pool built right than selling me additional junk I didn't need. My 18'x46' kit was under $11k and that included everything you mentioned plus upgraded pump/filter, 2 ColorLogic LED lights, diving board, 8' entry steps and an 8' jetted swimout/spa, all shipped to my driveway.

i got a 18x36 kafco kit with steel walls, 8ft stairs Pentair Intelliflow pump, pentair 420 cartridge filter, pentair 500w light, 2 skimmers, 2 drains, 2 returns, pentair salt chlorinator plus panel that controls chlorinator and accessories for 8800.00 from Sunland Pools. He is also selling me Vermiculite bags for 12.00 each which doesnt seem too bad. The customer service was awesome and the owner gives out his cell phone in case you have any questions on your build and his office is closed or its the weekend. I cant say enough good things about them! The owners name is Mick. They price matched every item i found and had free shipping.

Well I found a good deal on a 18x36 steel walled. 2 speed super pump, 175sq. ft. cartridge filter, color logic 12v and transformer,safety cover,solar cover,65 bags pool krete and 20 mil liner(he suggested 20mil over 30 because they stretch better?) 8' fiberglass entry step and ladder. $10300 delivered. It is from a pool supply store a hour north of me. I am planning on bitting the bullet on building it this summer.

Maybe bb2sbgn can share some pics for you. He got the same size pool with a better pump and a much larger filter with $1500 savings that would pay for your floor :scratch:

Might be worth checking out IMO

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.