Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine tablets?

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine tablets?

Looking for the best chlorine tablets for my inground pool. Is walmart the best place or should I get them online? My system used 3 inch tablets and can fit six in the filter. Should I pit all six or just like 2 or 3? The reason I buy from wally world is because they are the only place around. What should I look for when buying my tablets? Thanks
    dont know how many gallons i got but if i remember correctly the pool is about 20'wide and 32' long and goes from 4 to 8 foot. I think i remember someone telling me about 35k in gallons but i could be off.

filter type-Sand

its an in-ground plaster

dont know the size of the pump or size of the filter.

http://m1099.photobucket.com/albums/vodkacop/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine tablets?

Generic trichlor tablets are usually best. Avoid double or triple acting tablets as they generally contain copper. WalMart is often as inexpensive as online, though that varies.

Normally you fill up the tablet feeder once every a week or two (depending on how fast it gets used up).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just remember that for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor tabs, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm. So at 2 ppm FC per day chlorine usage the CYA level will increase by 36 ppm per month unless there is water dilution. The higher CYA level will lower the active chlorine level so if you don't proportionately raise your [EDIT] FC [END-EDIT] level then algae can start to grow faster than chlorine can kill it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks
    dont know how many gallons i got but if i remember correctly the pool is about 20'wide and 32' long and goes from 4 to 8 foot. I think i remember someone telling me about 35k in gallons but i could be off.

filter type-Sand

its an in-ground plaster

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    The higher CYA level will lower the active chlorine level so if you don't proportionately raise yourCYA level then algae can start to grow faster than chlorine can kill it.
    I think chem geek meant to say if you don't proportionately raise your FC level then the algae will grow faster than chlorine can kill it.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for catching that and I've corrected the post.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Got someone coming to clean the pool weekly so he monitors the chemicals in it. Just need some tabs to hold it during the week.

filter type-Sand

its an in-ground plaster

8. Back To Top    #8

Are you using the trichlor pucks for while you are away from home, or is that all you are using for daily chlorine?
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by vodka
    Got someone coming to clean the pool weekly so he monitors the chemicals in it. Just need some tabs to hold it during the week.
    Good luck with that. Most people here find that a once a week guy is woefully inadequate. Also, using tablets for your main chlorination source will cause your CYA to rise and most likely become a problem. Keep an eye on it. Is there a reason you're not handling your pool yourself?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

i am not home to do the pool myself so he keeps the levels up and adds the tablets for me. I am currently looking for someone to install my Salt water chlorinator, electrically and all. i also use the the chlorinator and tablets for my source of chlorine.

filter type-Sand

its an in-ground plaster