Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leak in pool liner

1. Back To Top    #1

leak in pool liner

Help.
    I have a leak in my pool somewhere and I was wondering if there is a way to find the leak. I noticed water level keeps going down. The ground is wet around the lower end of pool. If you have any idea of how to find the leak please let me know. I need to get ready to winterize my pool and close it for the year. I would like to find leak before I close it. I don't want the pool to collapse in the winter months.
    Teresa

2. Back To Top    #2
    A careful visual inspection is the best approach. Search near the area where the lawn is wet. First figure out if there are pipes in that area, then look at the pool it's self. Holes in the liner are usually visible from underwater with goggles on. Wet spots on plumbing are generally fairly obvious.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    We had looked to try to see a hole but no luck on seeing any hole. There are no pipes where the ground is wet.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

You have a fair idea of where the leak is, you can use food coloring to check any suspect area (the dye will suck through a leak) Look for any spots that won't move and places where dbris collects, it may be being sucked into the leak.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5
    how much food coloring do you have to use? Will the food coloring stain your liner?

6. Back To Top    #6
    Food coloring won't stain anything. If you use a lot it can take a day to clear up completely.

When using food coloring to trace leaks you want the water to be completely calm, pump off, and put just a drop of color into the water right near where you think a leak might be. Before the drop dissipates you will be able to see any movement in the water and if you are close enough to the leak will see the water get pulled into the hole.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    thanks all for the information that you have given me. I found the leak and know I can finally close my pool.
    thanks again

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by teresaw
    thanks all for the information that you have given me. I found the leak and know I can finally close my pool.
    thanks again
    Hi teresaw - If you still check this site, I was wondering if the food coloring worked for you? or did the visual inspection prove to be better? I also have a leak about half way down the wall of my above ground pool. It's been sitting for a few weeks, with a very very slow leak, until it finally stopped about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I got on my belly (decking around the pool) and looked and rubbed my finger over the waterline - but I could not find anything - even the seam looked fine. So I filled the pool about 2 inches more, and let it sit overnight until it was very still. Then I used food coloring drops around the entire edge, but nothing. I'm now looking into buying a new liner, but just was curious how you found yours. Thanks !
    20*40 Liner 2'-8' deep, Spill Over SPA, Electric Cover, Jandy Purelink (Aquapure & PDA), Hayward SP2610x15 (1.5HP Single Speed), Hayward H300 (Millavolt)

9. Back To Top    #9

rjbeals, first let me welcome you to TFP

With your AG pool, you may be able to get under the deck and check for weeping or wet spots to help you find the area in which the leak is. If you can narrow it down, follow what Jason and I said above with the dye.

I wish you well with this! and again, welcome you to TFP
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)