Correct lube on push/pull o-rings

AClogston

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 2, 2011
Lincoln, NH
Greetings everyone! Another quick question (I hope) for all of you. Our outdoor pool and spa filters have push/pull valves on them and I'd like to replace then lube the o-rings (another task neglected by previous operator) and it says in the manual:
"CAUTION! Never use lubricants other than silicone based products on this valve, as they can attack and damage plastic or rubber components."

The only lubricant I've got on hand is teflon Magic Lube, which I thought was okay to use on all pool components. Would it be ok to lube it with this or should I just order some silicone-based?

Thanks as always!

If you want silicone, Magic lube II (Made by Aladdin) is silicone based lube.

Jack's 327 from Hayward is also a silicone based lubricant. It is based on Dow Corning's 111 valve lubricant, which is also available at various places.

Either Teflon or silicone is fine, but I have found silicone to be a longer lasting lubricant.

The Dow Corning 111 is going to be the best value. Example. The Jacks 327 is overpriced for the small amount that you get.

Note: When getting a silicone lubricant, you want to make sure that you are not getting a sealant. The "Dow Corning 111 valve lubricant and sealant" is just a lubricant even though it says "sealant". I think that the word is misused in this particular instance.

If you want a silicone sealant, I recommend the silicone aquarium sealant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.