Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Correct lube on push/pull o-rings

1. Back To Top    #1

Correct lube on push/pull o-rings

Greetings everyone! Another quick question (I hope) for all of you. Our outdoor pool and spa filters have push/pull valves on them and I'd like to replace then lube the o-rings (another task neglected by previous operator) and it says in the manual:
    "CAUTION! Never use lubricants other than silicone based products on this valve, as they can attack and damage plastic or rubber components."

The only lubricant I've got on hand is teflon Magic Lube, which I thought was okay to use on all pool components. Would it be ok to lube it with this or should I just order some silicone-based?

Thanks as always!
    -Alex
    Outdoor Chlorine Pool/Spa (~100' from pump room):(35,000gal IG, plaster, 2 Triton TR-140 sand filters, 2 2HP pumps),(1,200gal IG, plaster, Triton TR-140, 2.5HP pump [circ.], 2 2HP pumps [jets])
    Indoor Bromine Pool/Spa:(24,000gal, plaster, Triton TR-100, 1.5HP SVRS-equipped pump),(3,200gal w/ 3 waterfalls, plaster, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 3HP pump [circ.], 3HP pump [jets])

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Correct lube on push/pull o-rings

Silicone and teflon based o-ring lubes are both fine. Never use vaseline or a petroleum based lubricant.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks a lot Jason!
    -Alex
    Outdoor Chlorine Pool/Spa (~100' from pump room):(35,000gal IG, plaster, 2 Triton TR-140 sand filters, 2 2HP pumps),(1,200gal IG, plaster, Triton TR-140, 2.5HP pump [circ.], 2 2HP pumps [jets])
    Indoor Bromine Pool/Spa:(24,000gal, plaster, Triton TR-100, 1.5HP SVRS-equipped pump),(3,200gal w/ 3 waterfalls, plaster, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, 3HP pump [circ.], 3HP pump [jets])

4. Back To Top    #4

If you want silicone, Magic lube II (Made by Aladdin) is silicone based lube.

Jack's 327 from Hayward is also a silicone based lubricant. It is based on Dow Corning's 111 valve lubricant, which is also available at various places.

Either Teflon or silicone is fine, but I have found silicone to be a longer lasting lubricant.

The Dow Corning 111 is going to be the best value. Example. The Jacks 327 is overpriced for the small amount that you get.

Note: When getting a silicone lubricant, you want to make sure that you are not getting a sealant. The "Dow Corning 111 valve lubricant and sealant" is just a lubricant even though it says "sealant". I think that the word is misused in this particular instance.

If you want a silicone sealant, I recommend the silicone aquarium sealant.