She said I needed to drain the pool

phipsi1237

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2011
Tularosa, NM
Split off of this topic. JasonLion

I was just told the same thing. I had my water tested at a near by pool store. The first thing they tested was TDS. Their meter only went to 2000 or 3000, but my water pegged out really fast. She said I needed to drain the pool. I live in North Las Vegas. They're saying with the rate of evaporation and hardness of the water here that pools need to be drained every 1 to 3 years. I just moved into the house, and I think this is the start of the 4th season without ever being drained.

TDS: As water evaporates, minerals stay behind, pool refills, water evaporates, more minerals stay behind. So, now, I have a pool filled with "DEAD" water, so adding chemicals will not be effective. That's how it was explained to me.

However, from reading this post, I'm guessing I shouldn't drain the pool?

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot. This forum is really informative.

Re: What is Total Dissolved Solids?

phipsi1237 said:
I was just told the same thing. I had my water tested at a near by pool store. The first thing they tested was TDS. Their meter only went to 2000 or 3000, but my water pegged out really fast. She said I needed to drain the pool. I live in North Las Vegas. They're saying with the rate of evaporation and hardness of the water here that pools need to be drained every 1 to 3 years. I just moved into the house, and I think this is the start of the 4th season without ever being drained.

TDS: As water evaporates, minerals stay behind, pool refills, water evaporates, more minerals stay behind. So, now, I have a pool filled with "DEAD" water, so adding chemicals will not be effective. That's how it was explained to me.

Water in the desert SW is quite hard, being very high in calcium. Over time, from topping off with tap water, the calcium hardness gets to the point where it becomes a problem from being too high. This is treated by draining and refilling or by reverse osmosis (R/O). If you were to drain and refill your pool, you would probably start with a fairly high CH already. This high CH reflects in your TDS as a high reading as well.

Where you live, R/O is probably available and may be your best option since water is likely at a premium there. You might check around for R/O companies and use one if indicated. It will pull all of the minerals out of the water and return it to your pool in much better condition.

phipsi1237 said:

What are the rest of the test results? Your CH may not be that bad.

Sorry for the late reply. I had the water tested around a month ago, and I can't find the results now. I did go ahead and drain the pool this evening. It's refilling now.

TDS is a very misleading number, since it is the total of everything. Some of the possible things that might be included in that total are harmless, while others are very important. You should always look at the individual numbers (TA, CH, CYA) to decide if the water needs to be replaced or not.

Even salt in your pool adds to the TDS and in cases with a SWCG it's a required substance.

Since you've already drained and are refilling your pool you should get a good test kit (see sig) and read Pool School and start this new water off right! :)

With a little reading and a few questions to the forum you'll understand what's going on in your pool and be prepared to handle it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.