First test results from TF-100

Apr 7, 2011
Hi everyone, I just got my TF-100xl today here are my results

TA = 70
CH = 280
FC = 3.5
CC = .5
CYA = 0 was at 50 a year ago pool has a leak
ph = 7.6 with old test kit (fresh drops)
ph = with new taylor looked higher and had trouble reading

Pool is in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida (south Fl). water is pretty clear, I'm beginning to get an algae bloom.
It's a Marcite pool and it's 15,000 gallons (give or take 5,000 gallons, seriously I have no clue). 1/2 gallon of 10.5 % chlorine added 3.5ppm. Pool calculator can tell me my gallons i think so I'll check there.

This is my first post, but I've been lurking on this site for awhile so I know a lot about BBB from reading the forum.
I found some old trichlor pucks 10 years old at least factory sealed and have been using them when I run out of chlorine. I thought I would have at least some CYA even with the leak.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum :lol:

I would suggest you bring the FC up to 10ppm immediately. However, what the algae doesn't consume, the sun will get within 24 hours. Nevertheless, you need to get a good, algae-killing dose of chlorine in there right away.

Next, (forget the pucks) put in enough granulated CYA to get to 40-50ppm. Withing 24 hours of introducing the CYA, go ahead and shock the pool properly (be sure to read how in Pool School) by bringing up and holding the FC to around 16-20 until your pool is perfectly clear.

You likely have more algae than you realize so don't be surprised if it takes several days to get your pool crystal clear.

Welcome to TFP!

You need to get the CYA level up to something reasonable. I suggest raising CYA up to around 30 very soon, and probably higher after the algae is dealt with.

While your CYA is very low, you don't need all that much chlorine to shock. Raising FC up to around 10 to 12 in the early evening, and if possible do that again in the late evening, is the best you can probably do until you get more CYA in the water. With CYA very low, you lose too much chlorine during the day to be able to shock effectively.

Similar to what duraleigh said.

Welcome to TFP.

I wouldn't adjust anything except raising the FC up to 10 as suggested. From the calculations your pool should be about 13,500 gallons, so your original estimate wasn't too far off.

How bad is your leak?
Do you have an autofill?

Thanks for all your help everyone

I'm going to buy CYA on saturday (put it in a sock in the skimmer or in front of a return) The powder form is cheaper correct?
It takes a week to register on the test, but once it's dissolved it is in there working, right? (so I can adjust my shock level)
Should I run the pump 24/7 until it dissolves?
Are there CYA brands to avoid? Should I buy it at Walmart or pool store?

I will shock to 10 ppm tonight add more in the morning before work. I don't work Sunday or Monday so I'll have time to do it right.

No autofill but we add water around two hours a week from garden hose.

By the way I got pool-stored today. Guy tells me Cal-hypo lasts longer in the pool than sodium hypochlorite. I didn't have the heart to tell him that once it's in there it's all the same thing, chlorine.

Thanks again for all your replies

2020true said:
Thanks for all your help everyone

I'm going to buy CYA on saturday (put it in a sock in the skimmer or in front of a return) The powder form is cheaper correct?
It takes a week to register on the test, but once it's dissolved it is in there working, right? (so I can adjust my shock level)
Should I run the pump 24/7 until it dissolves?
Are there CYA brands to avoid? Should I buy it at Walmart or pool store?

I will shock to 10 ppm tonight add more in the morning before work. I don't work Sunday or Monday so I'll have time to do it right.

No autofill but we add water around two hours a week from garden hose.

By the way I got pool-stored today. Guy tells me Cal-hypo lasts longer in the pool than sodium hypochlorite. I didn't have the heart to tell him that once it's in there it's all the same thing, chlorine.

Thanks again for all your replies

Yes powder is cheaper than liquid. Even though it does not register on a test right away, go ahead and act as if it did when dosing the pool. You don't need to run the pump 24/7 just for the CYA. Just let it soak in the sock and give it a good massage a couple of times a day until it has all dissolved. Run the filter as normal. You can uses the HTH brand Wallyworld sells or you can get it from the pool store. Just check the active ingredients. As long as there is not a bunch of junk mixed in with it, it should be fine.

Pool store guy was half right. The hypo lasts a few days at best. The cal lasts forever! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.