The Latest Swim University E-Mail

PoolGuyNJ said:
In an unused pool, the loss might be that low but if it's got activity, it's all over.

The sun, the temps, the activity will drop the FC below the effective level needed for sanitation and oxidation and continue to leave any bio-badies to do their version of the wild thing and the oxidation needs unmet. That added demand needed to counter the unchecked period and the time needed to rebuild the residual is pushing the chlorination system more than needed, if it can meet that at all, and leaving the pool cloudier each day with a significantly increase opportunity for unsightly algae growth or not getting high enough to kill any chlorine resistant (at lower levels) organisms.
Scott

PoolGuyNJ, The point I am trying to make is that running during the day or during the night makes no difference. If you run 5 hours during the day and produce 2ppm or run 5 hours at night and produce 2ppm. I do agree that FC consumption is greater with bather load and one should increase the output of chlorine or increase the run time to compensate. I compensate by running during the day when the load is present. In any case demand is demand. If the demand is higher you need to give it more chlorine.

The chlorine demand during the day is significantly higher than at night. You would have to have a very high residual in the morning to make through the day. Now you have the potential for morning swimmers to be exposed to significantly higher FC levels or CC levels if there is a biological or oxidation demand.

I am not saying it can't be done. I am saying it should not be done. It's begging for problems.

A pools biggest enemies: Water, Sun, Ignorance, Apathy.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
The chlorine demand during the day is significantly higher than at night. You would have to have a very high residual in the morning to make through the day.
That all depends on your CYA level. With CYA at 50, you should lose about 50% of your chlorine over the course of a sunny day. Starting the morning with FC at 8 and you should be able to make it until evening with FC at 4. Swimming with FC in that range, 4-8, is just fine. With CYA around 80 and a SWG you lose even less chlorine so it is more like going from 5.5 or 6 down to 4 or 4.5 over the course of a day, which again is just fine. (All of this assumes a residential pool and no pool party).

PoolGuyNJ said:
The chlorine demand during the day is significantly higher than at night. You would have to have a very high residual in the morning to make through the day. Now you have the potential for morning swimmers to be exposed to significantly higher FC levels or CC levels if there is a biological or oxidation demand.

I am not saying it can't be done. I am saying it should not be done. It's begging for problems.

A pools biggest enemies: Water, Sun, Ignorance, Apathy.

Scott

Scott, I agree with the pools biggest enemies especially Ignorance and Apathy. I know my pool I check it every day if not every other day. I know how it reacts. I run my equipment at night because the pumps get hot enough, I don't want the sun (live in Florida) beating on them while they are running (except for large user loads). I also have a large pool, my usual load is from by two kids so the load is small. If I have a party I turn the chorinator on during the day as well. Bottom line is, if you know what you are doing you can adjust to events, knowing exactly what the pool will do. Many people do not have this level of care with their pools, I don't let my kids play in those pools. Many people reading the article that the gentleman wrote may not be one of those who takes care of their pools and may run into problems. I am not one of them so that is probably why I don't see the big deal with the article.

I think that it's better to allow the pump to run continuously at lower speed than to turn it on and off. That way the pool can stay cleaner, consistently chlorinated and consistently heated to the desired temperature. When swimmers are using the pool, it helps to have the pump on to prevent the skimmer doors from slamming up and down and being damaged.

At lower speed, the total electrical usage will be less. Using a two speed or variable speed pump can be a very good investment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.