Sodium Bromide in a BBB pool?

jaydar

Mar 30, 2011
Just curious since I've battled mustard for the past several years here in sunny hot southwest Florida.I've used Yellow out or Mustard Eliminator with some success...albeit expensive.

I'm just now starting to learn the importance of pool water chemistry and balance and new to the BBB experience.

Right now the pool is in balance.I have some staining and sediment that keeps forming in streaks.
Not quite sure if this is dissolved minerals or metals...or dirt. I sweep and vac and it lightens up but eventually the streaks reform in the same places.
Maybe the pool plaster job wasn't so smooth?It's been happening for 4 years now.

When my pool was built the coping was formed into the deck slab with plastic moldings that were tacked into place with nails.Apparently the never removed the nails and my complaints were immediate.Rust dots on the bottom edge of the coping all around the pool.The company went out of business and I got no help from the county to remedy the problem.

Anyway...I'm not sure if this is iron sediment or dirt...and since the area I am in has had a terrible problem with mustard algae...can anyone tell me if the sodium bromide would mess up the balance of the water.

I was thinking of dosing the pool ahead of algae season here.

But if my problem is metal....I'd like to remove it with filtration somehow.
Pantyhose on the skimmer and trap basket maybe?

Don't add sodium bromide unless you want a bromine pool. Bromine is not as stable against loss to sunlight vs. a pool with chlorine and cyanuric acid.

All you need to do to prevent algae is to keep your FC at at least 7.5 % of your cyanuric acid level. See this chart.

What is your cyanuric acid level?

You can remove granular metals (metal dust) with a filter, but you can't reliably remove dissolved metals that way. If you have metals in the water you either need to replace water to get the metal level down, or use sequestrant to bind the metals so they won't cause stains. Sequestrant breaks down slowly, so you will need to add more regularly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.