Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: VAC and then Chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

VAC and then Chlorine?

Pool has a fair amount of algae crud on the bottom (but can see bottom). Should I vac that to waster before starting to dump in my 12% chlorine? or do it together...would seem a waste of chlorine to vac it overboard.?

This year I WILL like my pool because it will not beat me down as it has in past years!
    Cedar Island NC (Southern Outer Banks)
    Splash Super Pool (40x20)
    29,000 gal; AG; Sand Filter; 1.5HP pump. Use the cosmic Taylor Test Kit
    New Aquarite SWG w/T-15 cell; New Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: VAC and then Chlorine?

Yeah, vacuum whatever you can to waste so it won't end up in your filter. Then shock to clear any remaining suspended algae, test, adjust, filter, enjoy,
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by belgique
    Pool has a fair amount of algae crud on the bottom (but can see bottom). Should I vac that to waster before starting to dump in my 12% chlorine? or do it together...would seem a waste of chlorine to vac it overboard.?

This year I WILL like my pool because it will not beat me down as it has in past years!
    Get as much organic stuff out as you can before you start chlorinating. Otherwise the chlorine will try oxidizing it away, which is a waste.
    Chlorine is for stuff that's too small to catch in the skimmer net!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm with these guys. Just did two runs of vac to waste, did the opening shock and the pool is lookin' good.

+1 on not letting your pool kick you around. I started early this year and the reward is not having to drain the thing.
    30K gal - IG plaster w/spa, all heated - 3/4HP main pump - Apollo DE filter - TF100XL in use ;)
    Location: Bakersfield, CA, on a district well rich in alkalinity and under a sky rich in dust.