CYA test

jmlodin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
We just opened our pool today and took a sample to Leslies for the fun of it and because I was pretty sure we needed stabilizer. I test at home using a Taylor kit so I generally trust my own numbers. How accurate is a pool store with CYA levels? She read it at 50 so I tested it when I got home and at 30 I could still see the black dot. Is the dot suppose to be totally gone to then read the level? Also she gave me a FC reading of 5 where I get 20 at home! The pool company shocked our pool so I tend to think she is way off!

Could you see what she used to test FC with? If it was the block tester that has chlorine on one side and pH on the other and you have to match the colors to read, it will only test up to 5ppm. Pool stores often use strips to test CYA. Strips will not give a precise result and often are inaccurate. I would trust your Taylor kit.

Pool stores are very frequently way off. There are some great pool stores for testing out there, but many of them are very unreliable.

Yes, the black dot should be completely gone, no hint that it was ever there. The black dot CYA test does have it's challenges, but it is still the best CYA test out there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.