Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: discolored/stained steps?

1. Back To Top    #1

discolored/stained steps?

Our pool was just opened today. We drained a small amount of water and noticed that the white plastic steps seem to be stained a rust like color that does not brush away. The skimmer also had rust colored debri on it, some of which brushed away. Also at the end of last year we noticed the metal ring around our pool light was looking rusted/corroded. Any idea what this could be from and how to get rid of the staining?
    18x36 ft
    19,000 gal IG vinyl
    Sand filter Tagelus 24"
    1HP Whisper Flo Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: discolored/stained steps?

Try holding a vitamin C tablet up against some of the stained plastic for 30 seconds and see if that reduces or eliminates the stain in that area.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

How old is the pool? Anything new done to it last season?

Sounds somewhat like an electrical issue causing electrolysis.

A vitamin C tablet may clear the stain, which would indicate it's metallic. ETA: Jason beat me to it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool is 6 years old. Nothing new has been done. I don't have any vitamin c tablets so I will have to get some to try what you are suggesting. The steps below the water line are totally discolored, not just a small area here and there.

So if the vitamin C gets rid of the stain it is metals?
    18x36 ft
    19,000 gal IG vinyl
    Sand filter Tagelus 24"
    1HP Whisper Flo Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jmlodin

So if the vitamin C gets rid of the stain it is metals?
    Yes.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok I will try the vitamin C tomorrow. If it is metals, how did they get there and how do you get rid of them in the water?!

Thanks
    18x36 ft
    19,000 gal IG vinyl
    Sand filter Tagelus 24"
    1HP Whisper Flo Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Metals can come from algaecides, pool heaters, well water, very old metal plumbing, and other pool store treatments such as mineral packs and ionizers.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok I put a vitamin C tablet on the stain and it went away. So I guess that means the stains are due to metals. What do I need to do now? I do have a jug of Metal Free from the pool store from my pre-BBB days! Is that what I need to use?
    18x36 ft
    19,000 gal IG vinyl
    Sand filter Tagelus 24"
    1HP Whisper Flo Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Here you go...also look at the article refenced in the link

pool-school/metal%20stains
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you for the link. I have one follow up question. To take care of the metal problem we have to have chlorine at 0. We are currently in the process of shocking the pool because it was hazy upon opening yesterday. Is it ok to continue to shock until we have clear water and then do the metal treatment? Do the metals have anything to do with hazy water?

Thanks again!
    18x36 ft
    19,000 gal IG vinyl
    Sand filter Tagelus 24"
    1HP Whisper Flo Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Finish shocking first! The metals don't have anything to do with the haze, and you can't really deal with them til you get the pool clear
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

If the vitamin C doesn't do it, it's likely organic.

Things I have used to combat this:
    Time chlorinated water will cause it to fade but this can be a somewhat lengthy process.
    Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser
    Jack's Step Stuff

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

13. Back To Top    #13

Just bumping this one as I have steps that have brown/orange discoloration in two locations. Going to try some Vitamin C tablets tonight. I don't see stains anywhere else in the pool at least none that look the same or stand out. Could I just spot treat the area with tablets rather than a full pool AA treatment?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

discolored/stained steps?

I spot treated my steps, returns, light niche, and drains. I put a emptied a bottle of vitamin c tablets in a panty hose, got the snorkel out and went to work. Took about 30 minutes and all looked as good as new.

We did not have any staining anywhere else, so the spot treatment made sense to me.
    18x36 IG Vinyl. ~29k Gallons.
    Pentair CCP420 Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Inteli-flow VS Pump
    Hayward Goldline SWG
    Tigershark QC Robot

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks. I'll give the bag-o-tablets-in-hose method a try for spot treatment.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

16. Back To Top    #16

I know this thread is old but I tried the techniques discussed here for a similar problem. It worked great. So, I'm posting some pictures for visual effects. The clean looking white spot on the second step in the bottom of the picture is where I let a single Vitamin C tablet sit for 30 minutes. It's perfectly clean! You may also notice that on the top of the picture at the second stop on the stair wall, there's a pretty clean looking section. That's were I took another vitamin C tablet and rubbed against the stain for about 2 seconds and it immediately started to disappear. It's amazing. So I order Jack's Magic Purple stuff for my SWG pool. I'll post that picture in couple of days once I get the results.

20170508_220949887_iOS.jpg
    Jay O
    As green as they get about pools
    IG/SWG/17x30x9
    Approximately 2,300 ft3of water