Mar 28, 2011
Space Coast, Florida
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
It's time to replace the two sand filters on my indoor pool and spa. They are old, leaky, and since this is an indoor system, I feel that a cartridge or DE filter would be more appropriate. There is not a lot to filter out.

That being said, the only experience I have is with sand filters, and I know very little about the other types.

The pool and spa are on separate systems, and they will each have their own Hayward EcoStar pump. Currently, they both have the same model sand filter, a 26" diameter, 3.5 sq. ft filter area sand filter. The pool is around 15,200 gallons and the spa is around 700 gallons.

I'd love to hear some opinions on DE or cartridge types and model recommendations. Any special considerations for the spa? I am not opposed to having a totally different type of filter on each system.

Thanks for your help!

I have a DE fiter and when I have to clean it, I have to find somewhere to flush out the old DE, rinse off the grids, and rinse out the tank. With a cartridge filter you only have to take out the cartridge and hose it off. Much easier for an indoor set up.

Thanks for the responses so far. Although this is an indoor pool, it is a standalone building with a garage on the side of it, all of the equipment is in the garage right in front of the door, so maintenance should be reasonably easy.

I am more curious about the technological abilities and differences of the DE and cartridge filters. How well do todays cartridges filter? When people talk about the DE filtering smaller particles, is there really a visible difference? (compared to the cartridge) How often do these need maintenance? Are there significant back pressure differences? Quicker pressure rises with dirty filters?

Sorry for the rapid-fire questions...

If you swim at night under the light, you will be able to notice the clarity of the water with a DE filter.
Our DE filter need to be backwashed every couple of months and I disassemble and clean it twice a year to remove all the extra DE that does not get removed with backwashing. I generally used a 25 lb box of DE powder per season.

Here is a pool school link with additional information:
pool-school/pool_filter_comparison

DE and Cartridges are supposed to be very close in terms of filtering fine debris. Between those two it comes down to convienience and personal preference. Replacment cartridges are more expensive than a box of DE, but you should get several years of use from a cartridge.

Thanks again for the responses.

I am now trying to decide between a Hayward Pro-Grid and a Pentair Quad DE for the pool. Does anyone have knowledge or experience with these two systems?

My understanding is that the pro-grid is a vertical grid type? And the Quad uses four unique DE cartridges? Are there notable maintenance, longevity, or performance differences in these two designs?

Many people rave about the Quad. Cleaning off the cartridges is way easier than breaking down and cleaning a conventional DE filter like the Pro-Grid. On the other hand the Quad doesn't backwash as well as a conventional DE filter (none of which backwash perfectly).

Thats another good topic.. from what I have read, I don't think that I will plan to backwash my DE at all. If backwashing can put more stress on the grids, and you don't truly know how much DE you remove when backwashing, so it seems much more efficient to just remove, clean, and totally refill the grids (or quad cartridges?)

Is this sound logic?

I looked at the Quad 80 before I bought he CCP420. They both looked great but knowing that I tend to let my pool go to a swamp over the winter, I was leery of buying DE for the constant backwashing while getting it back to clear. That said, in your situation, the Quads would be a good pick.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also have an indoor pool and switched from sand to DE a couple of years ago (3?), since then everyone comments on the clarity of the water, it is that noticeable. Mine is a Hayward Perflex series EC-75 (uses "bump" tubes instead of grids, so they can be rejuvenated by "bumping" several times before needing recoating), I know a lot of people around here don't like them, but I have had no trouble at all with it yet, and it performs as advertised. I have been careful to watch the operating pressure and bump before the suggested 10 psi limit of rise, being an indoor pool with relatively light use I have only needed to recoat the tubes every 6 months or so.

Ike

I just cleaned the filters on our Hayward cartridge type yesterday for the second time in 6 months, and I'll tell you it's a bit of a *****! No just hosing them off like on the hot tub, I spent 30 minutes and $10 at the car wash blasting them out and it's a messy job!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.