Help, Filter TOO oversized? Is it possible?

Jun 29, 2010
Austin, TX
I'm having a 3900 gallon IG fiberglass exercise pool installed. The pool builder just delivered the equipment which is sitting in my back yard. Problem is it is altered from what we contracted for.

They delivered a 1.5 HP tri-star 2-speed pump, which I know is over sized for the pool. They should have delivered a 1HP max-flo 2-speed max. This I plan on getting them to correct because I don't want to pay more on my utilities for the over sized pump.

My question is that they also delivered a 325 sqft swim clear cartridge filter instead of the 225 sqft filter we spec'd. I assume they up-sized to the 325 sqft because of the larger pump. I had thought the 225 sqft filter was already pretty over sized for the pool size already. Is it possible to oversize the filter too large? Should I get them to downsize the filter to the originally spec'd 225 sqft?

Thanks for replies, I want to catch this before they try installing it.

The larger filter won't be a problem, but I agree that even 225 is more than enough for that size pool. With that small a pool, I would get the absolute smallest pump I could (do they make that in a 1/2 or 3/4 HP?).

I think the only way it would be too big is if the pump was too small to fill it up! I don't think you will have that problem. I would want to know if they charged me more for the larger pump and filter than the actual price of the equipment I ordered.

Thanks for your replies guys. The builder is a nice guy, so I don't think he was trying to pull a fast one. I think his supplier did not have the smaller stuff in stock and he went with larger equipment and was not charging me more. Probably most of his customers want it tomorrow and are not willing to wait for it to be ordered.

I believe pentair has a 3/4 HP whisper flow 2 speed but I need to use all hayward to get the 3 year warranty and my builder is a hayward installer.

The 1 HP two speed max-flo is a max rated pump, so I think that means it is equiv of a smaller non-uprated HP. I plan to mainly run it on the lower speed which I think should be about a 1/2 HP pump, but I wanted the higher speed for when I plan to add solar to the roof and would need the extra power to prime the solar panels.

So it sounds like I will get him to swap the pump for sure and let him decide if he wants to swap out the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.