Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help, Filter TOO oversized? Is it possible?

1. Back To Top    #1

Help, Filter TOO oversized? Is it possible?

I'm having a 3900 gallon IG fiberglass exercise pool installed. The pool builder just delivered the equipment which is sitting in my back yard. Problem is it is altered from what we contracted for.

They delivered a 1.5 HP tri-star 2-speed pump, which I know is over sized for the pool. They should have delivered a 1HP max-flo 2-speed max. This I plan on getting them to correct because I don't want to pay more on my utilities for the over sized pump.

My question is that they also delivered a 325 sqft swim clear cartridge filter instead of the 225 sqft filter we spec'd. I assume they up-sized to the 325 sqft because of the larger pump. I had thought the 225 sqft filter was already pretty over sized for the pool size already. Is it possible to oversize the filter too large? Should I get them to downsize the filter to the originally spec'd 225 sqft?

Thanks for replies, I want to catch this before they try installing it.
    3900 Gallon (18 x 8.5 x 5) Partially In Ground Fiberglass Pool -- 2" Schedule 40 PVC -- Hayward P4 Controller -- Goldline Aqua Rite Turbo Cell Salt Chlorinator -- Hayward 2 Speed Max Flo II 1 HP Pump -- Hayward SwimClear 225 sqft Cartridge Filter -- Hayward 250K BTU Natural Gas Heater -- Endless Pool Fastlane Swim Machine -- Cover Pools Manual Track & Reel Security Cover -- TF-100 Testkit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help, Filter TOO oversized? Is it possible?

The larger filter won't be a problem, but I agree that even 225 is more than enough for that size pool. With that small a pool, I would get the absolute smallest pump I could (do they make that in a 1/2 or 3/4 HP?).
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I think the only way it would be too big is if the pump was too small to fill it up! I don't think you will have that problem. I would want to know if they charged me more for the larger pump and filter than the actual price of the equipment I ordered.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for your replies guys. The builder is a nice guy, so I don't think he was trying to pull a fast one. I think his supplier did not have the smaller stuff in stock and he went with larger equipment and was not charging me more. Probably most of his customers want it tomorrow and are not willing to wait for it to be ordered.

I believe pentair has a 3/4 HP whisper flow 2 speed but I need to use all hayward to get the 3 year warranty and my builder is a hayward installer.

The 1 HP two speed max-flo is a max rated pump, so I think that means it is equiv of a smaller non-uprated HP. I plan to mainly run it on the lower speed which I think should be about a 1/2 HP pump, but I wanted the higher speed for when I plan to add solar to the roof and would need the extra power to prime the solar panels.

So it sounds like I will get him to swap the pump for sure and let him decide if he wants to swap out the filter.
    3900 Gallon (18 x 8.5 x 5) Partially In Ground Fiberglass Pool -- 2" Schedule 40 PVC -- Hayward P4 Controller -- Goldline Aqua Rite Turbo Cell Salt Chlorinator -- Hayward 2 Speed Max Flo II 1 HP Pump -- Hayward SwimClear 225 sqft Cartridge Filter -- Hayward 250K BTU Natural Gas Heater -- Endless Pool Fastlane Swim Machine -- Cover Pools Manual Track & Reel Security Cover -- TF-100 Testkit

5. Back To Top    #5

I would keep the big filter if you didn't pay extra for it. Switch the pump for sure to a smaller one.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html