Is this a booster pump?

Apr 5, 2011
Northern California
I never really thought about why there were two pumps back there but now I'm wondering if this is a booster pump. When it turns on, separately, it pushes out its own return, although the pump appears to be hooked to the filtration system, in the middle of the pool that an automatic pool cleaner used to be hooked up to. I thought was identified as a Polaris 360 when I took it in once, but maybe could have been a 280 or 380 if this is a booster. I'm looking to buy a new one soon so I'm glad I noticed this other pump now!

One more question: what is the hose connection doing on the filtration system? Air bleed?

The second pump I'm referring to is at the bottom of the picture vertically mounted. The filter pump is mounted horizontally right next to the filter near the top middle of the pic.
kwWVE.jpg

It turns on with a completely separate timer here:

9KRlj.jpg

Pump details:
JjeAe.jpg

The darker vertical cylinder on the lower right of the photo with black hoses going to it appears to be a booster pump. The main pump, with the rigid white pipe is in the upper center of the photo.

The small black tube that runs between two white pipes appears to be a place where there used to be a chlorine tablet feeder. When it was taken out they didn't want to bother patching the holes, so they just ran a short section of tubing between the two taps.

Thanks, you guys are fast! The 280/380 worked like a champ the last two summers and the pump sounds like it's running fine. I wonder how long it will last!? When it goes out which connections will need to be replaced; couldn't I just put a new motor in the old ones place?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.