Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shocked the pool...

1. Back To Top    #1

shocked the pool...

ok so i shocked my 60,000 indoor pool 3 days ago....to 20 ppm....today still 5+ ppm on my test .....why does it take soooooo long for my chlorine to drop to a safe level?
    60,000 indoor inground pool , with a DE filter made of plaster with a flow rate of 240 GPM and a Aqua Rite SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: shocked the pool...

Big pool!

The four biggest reasons are CYA level, temperature, circulation, and the amount of sunlight hitting it.

We do ask that you put your pool's specs in your signature and putting your latest test results in your message body. This helps us to help you more effectively.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Because it is an indoor pool. Chlorine goes away quickly outdoors, and far more slowly indoors.

You you know your CYA level? If CYA is zero then raising FC up to 20 is way too high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I understand that anything in the 10 and under range for FC is ok to swim in?
    Heck........my target level FC is 8 and I jump right in!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Safe to swim in depends on your CYA level. If you have literally zero CYA then I wouldn't swim at an FC level of over 2, although people do swim up to perhaps 5 some places. As soon as there is even just a little CYA then swimming up to 10 is fine, and as CYA goes up higher FC levels become alright.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    I understand that anything in the 10 and under range for FC is ok to swim in?

I try to keep it around 2 ppm. ALSO check the signiture for updated information.
    60,000 indoor inground pool , with a DE filter made of plaster with a flow rate of 240 GPM and a Aqua Rite SWG.

7. Back To Top    #7

CYA level?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    CYA level?