I've defected to the dark side! New peristaltic pump

Hmmm....your pool is the same size as mine. I see the specs on the Stenner 45MHP2 is .2 - 3 gpd. I assume for your 13,500 gallon pool that you must leave your pump set at the minimum .2 gpd setting most of the time. That would be adding 1.7 ppm FAC per day, or 1 gallon every 5 days. Just curious where you get your bleach and what you pay. We have a company here in Buffalo that manufactures Chek-Bac Chlorine. It is sold in pool stores and in my local grocery store. Needless to say, I buy it from the grocery store for 3.99 per gallon. According to the bottle, it's labeled as 12.5%, but I do all my calculations as a straight 12%.

Bama Rambler said:
If your talking about my pool, I run my pump 8 hours per day with the dial set between 4 & 5. I use 6% bleach.

Im still calibrating mine, but I find that the pump is very loud. About as loud as my filter pump on high. I was originally going to run the 45mhp10 at the lowest setting for 8-9 hours, but decided instead to run it for as short a time as possible at the highest setting

10gpd is actually a fast drip, it is half a gallon per hour so it isnt like the chlorine is pouring out or anything. At the highest setting Im getting about 1.5ppm of CL/hour.

Bama Rambler said:
If your talking about my pool, I run my pump 8 hours per day with the dial set between 4 & 5. I use 6% bleach.

I guess with that said I should be fine with 45MHP2(3GPD) as well with the minimal size difference between my pool, and if need be can bump up the tube at a later date for more adjust-ability...Any thoughts on the different series options 45/85 besides the RPM ? And also, any comments on 1/4" or 3/8" supply tubing ?

Bama Rambler said:
The 45's turn at 26 rpm and the 85's turn at 44 rpm. That's really the only difference between the two.
The 1/4" tubing is plenty big. No use going with the 3/8" unless you're pumping highly viscous fluids.

Bama,

What is the difference between the standard and high pressure Stenner models? Is it just the inline check valve or is there something different in the pump/pump tubes?

Regards,

Jay

The biggest thing is the check valve. However there are a few tubes that aren't rated for 100 psi so the high pressure pumps aren't available in those sizes. The tubes will still fit the pumps, they're just not rated at the higher pressure.

I've ran across some 1/4" stainless tubing fittings laying around in my garage any issues with using them if I decide rather then plastic on my cl2 injection line? Or maybe just stick with what comes with the pump and tubing.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Point to note about the Stenner pumps in general that I found about the hard way this year. Late last year I noticed the pump made some clicking noises and the pump head would sometimes not advance (the motor continuously turns). I have the pump on a relatively low setting at 2 to 2.5 of its 1-10 range. I called Stenner the other day and they said that running the pump at such a low rate wears out the Index Plate sooner than it would if set at a higher setting. As such, they suggest I go to a #1 tube and then set the pump at 7 or 8 which causes the head to move more often. Fortunately, you can take the head apart, pull out the index plate and turn it over to get 2X the life out of it. The plate is about $20.

Bama Rambler said:
There shouldn't be a problem with using the SS fittings but I'd just stick with what comes with the pump.

Just got the 45MHP2 in the mail today, pretty nice set-up (fittings ,check-valve,weighted suction strainer) Even came with a spare 100psi #1 Tube :-D , I'm assuming the installed tube is as per nameplate on the pump 3GPD-100psi (no print on it like the spare has) might just shoot them an email to double check...

Any issues at the injection point with the 3/4" long excess tubing (after the threads) that would be in the flow path in the return line, trim it down or leave it alone?

Looks like a pretty sweet set-up and cant wait to set it up and dial it in to maintain my 5-6 FC levels :) and looks like I'll have it set before I go away for a week or so and don't have to worry about asking the house/dog sitter to mess with any chlorine dosing :party:

Bama Rambler said:
I'd leave it alone. It won't hurt anything sticking into the piping.

The tube will match the nameplate size.

Thanks Dave, will update with results after tuning and may even post a couple pics of my temporary set up for now until I get a chance this fall to rearrange my pump house/piping/pad....

Bama Rambler said:
Yep. Just drill and tap the PVC pipe. Use a few wraps of t-tape or some paste on the threads and you'll be good.

Injection Quill installed :) Drilled and tapped through the fitting hub and pipe (a little more threads through both) Thread sealant and shes holding like a champ...put a isolation valve in to for servicing the check valve if needed :-D Next is just filling the 15 gal drum and installing/wiring my time-clock, at least I think I have my dosing down manually to about 40-50 oz per day (12.5%) and maintaining 4.5-5.5 FC , so dialing in the pump shouldn't be that difficult ...

2012-05-26_15-39-54_461.jpg

Ok..I finally have my stenner pump in service..im running my pump from 8 am till 8pm every day and injecting when the pump runs..Im in the process of dialing my FC level in, my question is when is it best to pull a sample in a consistent way , before the pump runs in the AM or at night an hr or so after its off? Or do I need to dial it in on both ends of the 12 hour run time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.