I've defected to the dark side! New peristaltic pump

That's with my 3gpd pump. I could turn my 3gpd pump wide open and it wouldn't hurt anything. But other people may have much larger pumps and it could inject a fair amount of bleach into the line.

It won't matter if you stop the flow to the returns as long as the flow is going out the waterfall. Unless, you have one of those high rate injection pumps that could possibly raise the FC fairly high.

Most of the time this isn't going to be an issue. It's only those cases where someone is injecting a whole days chlorine in a minute or two. And even then, it's probably not a problem, but people need to be aware of what could happen.

Bama Rambler said:
That's with my 3gpd pump. I could turn my 3gpd pump wide open and it wouldn't hurt anything. But other people may have much larger pumps and it could inject a fair amount of bleach into the line.

It won't matter if you stop the flow to the returns as long as the flow is going out the waterfall. Unless, you have one of those high rate injection pumps that could possibly raise the FC fairly high.

Most of the time this isn't going to be an issue. It's only those cases where someone is injecting a whole days chlorine in a minute or two. And even then, it's probably not a problem, but people need to be aware of what could happen.

I've got a deal on a 12GPD rola-chem...and I can't imagine I'd ever crank it very high. And I'd probably run it in multiple shifts: an evening one to make up for loss during the day, and a mid day run (or series of runs) to maintain FC throughout the day. Currently I use about 1qt per day, or I was before my CYA dropped mysteriously.

The problem with my setup is finding an injection point that could feed the waterfall and/or the returns, i.e. a point before the 3 way valve that splits water between them. The solar return joins the non solar route just after and below the valve that enables the solar...then there's a short vertical length (less than a foot) into the bottom of the valve that routes to waterfall or returns. Other than that straight piece it's a couple of angle jonts to the three way valve. I'm afraid that injecting in the straight vertical pipe could result in a high concentraiton area below the solar valve and in front of the solar return check valve as I'm not sure what kind of mixing of the water there is in that area since when the solar is off it's essentially a dead end offshoot. I guess I could install it in one of those angle couplings?

So here's my equipment pad. As you can see it's a tight cluster - cleanly done but it would be a total redo for just about any type of change. Dear Mr Pool Builder :oops:

Now wipe the tears from your eyes, it's not that funny! :p

You can see the fill line to the LQ betwen the filter and the pump (it goes to a screen filter hanging underneath the pump->filter pipe before going to the LQ inlet). This is where I was thinking I could mount the CL injection point if we can't find a place after the solar system.

(Note: you can also see the Hayward needle valve and flow meter for the LQ sitting on the pump filter basket - I haven't found a good place to mount those and may never now).

Please excuse the make shift shade cover for the LQ from one of my favorite breweries :cheers:

Attachments

• PoolPad2Labeled.JPG
    PoolPad2Labeled.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 552
  • PoolPad1Labeled.JPG
    PoolPad1Labeled.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 499
The issue with that one is if I run the waterfall I'd have to remember to always leave it cracked - not sure all the members of the family would be so diligent...Is there a way to prevent the valve from closing completely? I know if I automate it I can limit the travel of the actuator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
It's just an adjustable dosing pump. You can go to Stenners site and learn all there is to know about it.
I made a spreadsheet to convert the dial setting to oz per day based on the pump run time.

Dave, out of sheer laziness on my part, can you share the spreadsheet?

Is the Stenner rain cover enough protection for the pump? It seems like most people have it installed outside on a wall under an eave. My equipment pad is against a retaining wall and basically open to the elements and rain doesn't always fall straight down...not to mention morning due, mositure, etc. Should I plan on putting a plastic box around this thing?

Also, how loud is the clicking sound?

And last but not least - what's the difference between the 45 and 85 series pumps? I've searched the Stenner site but if there's a description I missed it. Seems mainly to be the volumes they can push out?

The rain cover is enough protection. It sits real close to the opening so rain would have to blow upside down to get under it.

You can hear the click but it's not annoying or very loud to me. Also, it doesn't click when the dial is set to 10.

The actual difference is motor speed. The 45 series turns at 26 rpm and the 85 series turns at 44 rpm.
The 3, 10, 22, 35, 50 gpd models are the 45's and the 5, 17, 40, 60, 85 gpd models are the 85's.

Thanks Dave!

I made some modifications to your spreadsheet: I added a sheet where you can put in the number of minutes to run the pump each day and see what the output will be in Gals, Qts and Oz (I removed CC's to save some space). It still presents all three pump options for comparison purposes and I added calculations to the configuration tables so all you need to enter in is a model name and description, max gals and the 0 point flow rate, the 1-10 get calculated automatically. Thanks again for the original. You only need to enter values in the yellow highlighted boxes and everything else populates. I ordered the results on the first page by volume type, it would be just as easy to rearrange by pump. The sheets are locked to prevent breaking the calculations, but it's easy to unlock them if people want to rearrange the columns. Hope you like it :)

Attachments

• Stenner Pump Flow conversion v2.xls
    68 KB · Views: 158
Here is the spreadsheet I made with charts. I printed it out and put it in my log book and so have a visual reference to know how to correlate my chlorine demand with the flow rate. This is for MY pool, so you will need to tweak it for your needs, but it works well for me.

BTW, it is in Excel 2007 format and I had to ZIP it in order to add as an attachment, I guess XLSX format isn't supported.

[attachment=0:y3ewfm3c]Stenner Pump Rates.zip[/attachment:y3ewfm3c]

Attachments

• Stenner Pump Rates.zip
    18.2 KB · Views: 115
Bama,
I'm taking the plunge :) as far as my pool size it looks like I would be fine with the 45MHP2 (3GPD) as well ? , If I find I need more room for adjustment I can bump the tube up to 5,10 GPD from what I understand? Anyhow, are there any pros/cons
as far as the 45/85 series with the different RPM's that I should consider? Also, 1/4" tubing or 3/8" ? I'm assuming 3/8 for better flow, less restriction and potential for clogging ?? Any help is much appreciated, I wanna get it here ASAP and get er close to dialed in before I head out for 10 days on June 8th....Don't want the house/dog sitter to have to fiddle with LQ Cl....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.