Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I doing the math right?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I doing the math right?

Okay, got a 10 day trip coming up next month.

Chlorine consumption is about 2 ppm/day. So.... I'll need to add 20 ppm. Are you following? CYA is about 40, so I want to add some more. Some part of the pool is in the sun from about half an hour after sunrise until about half an hour before sunset. 50 or even 60 wouldn't be excessive, IMHO.

Trichlor tablets seem like the way to go. If I add 20 ppm via pucks, I will add 12 ppm CYA, correct? And to add 20 ppm to a 16000 gallon pool will take about three pounds of trichlor. I've seen individually wrapped pucks for sale on the counter at the local pool store. Should I just go buy three pounds worth?

Someone please check the math and tell me, am I right?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I doing the math right?

I dont even like to mess with the pucks since we know they add CYA. Why not just boost your FC based off of your normal loss with bleach and maybe bump it up 5-6 ppm more. That is what I have done when I leave and my pool is in full sun from sun up to about 5 pm. So direct sun for about 8-10 hours. I have done it three times, twice in the summer heat in texas and came back to no issues.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

You are losing about 2 ppm out of what, say 5 ppm FC as your target? So let's say this is 40% FC loss per day. After 10 days this would result in only 0.6% of your original FC level and that doesn't count some absolute losses that will use up chlorine even faster. I don't think you could just shock the pool and go much more than a week at your loss rate. Even if your loss rate were 30% per day, after 10 days you'd have only 3% of your original FC level so starting even with 20 ppm FC would end up with 0.6 ppm if you were lucky.

The Trichlor pucks should work, but you'd need to dial down the feeder appropriately and if all the pucks are sitting in water, then the chlorine supply rate wil be higher initially and lower later Ideally, some Trichlor pucks will be sitting in the water and some above and as the ones below dissolve then the ones above sink lower.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Covering the pool is a better option.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Definitely. With a mostly opaque cover, preferably.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe not possible for you, but what I do is bring the FC up a few ppm higher than normal, then just have a neighbor add bleach daily so it stays at that slightly higher FC
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.