Pump/Filter questions

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Hello,

We are in the process of getting an above ground pool (install date is 4/25). I need to know if we get an inground pool pump vs. above ground pump, will we need the same HP? Also, would we need to get a filter for an inground or can we stay with an above ground cartridge filter? Would we need the same size filter? Are there any cons to getting an ig pump for an above ground pool?
FYI, by being to put the equipment next to the house, it is saving us a lot of $$$$ on running the electrical and gas. (we are getting a heater too.)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!

If you have a typical above ground setup, with the pump near the pool and short hoses then you should get an above ground pump. If you have long plumbing runs, say 30 feet each way or more, then an in ground pump would probably be appropriate. Another thing to watch out for is the position of the pump relative to the water line of the pool. Typically an above ground pump only works when it is below the pool water line. If your pump needs to be above the water line for the pool then you need a pump that is self priming. All in-ground pumps are self priming, but only a couple of the above ground pumps are.

The recommended HP is essentially the same for in-ground vs. above ground. With pumps, smaller is generally better, unless you have a spa, waterfall, or other water feature that requires a larger pump.

You can use any kind of filter on either kind of pool. With filters larger is better, as a larger filter needs to be cleaned less often and filters better than a smaller filer.

There are no serious issues to using an inground pump on an AGP and since you're burying it, you're probably better off with an inground pump. However, the HP you have listed in your sig is WAY too big for your pool. I'd recommend a 3/4 or 1 hp 2-speed pump. I'd also go with a larger filter.

I'd probably want a 150"K" btu heater too. :mrgreen:

You can mix brands. Hayward Tristar, Pentair whisperflo, and Jandy e-pump all come in low-HP 2-speed models and are pretty much comparable in price and performance.

A "run" is the distance from the pool to the equipment. :goodjob:

A couple of things that may not have been mentioned:

AG pumps tend to have lower max head the IG pumps which makes them slightly more efficient than an IG pump of the same THP. But because of lower max head, AG pumps may not be suitable for solar installed on a roof but it depends on the pump.

Most AG pumps are up rated while IG pumps are both up and full rated so when comparing make sure you compare the appropriate pumps.

AG pumps tend to cost less than an IG pump of the same THP.

If solar is not an issue and run lengths are short, then an AG pump may be more economical overall.

mas985 said:
A couple of things that may not have been mentioned:

AG pumps tend to have lower max head the IG pumps which makes them slightly more efficient than an IG pump of the same THP. But because of lower max head, AG pumps may not be suitable for solar installed on a roof but it depends on the pump.

Most AG pumps are up rated while IG pumps are both up and full rated so when comparing make sure you compare the appropriate pumps.

AG pumps tend to cost less than an IG pump of the same THP.

If solar is not an issue and run lengths are short, then an AG pump may be more economical overall.

Im not understanding the whole "head" & "up/full rated". I have to measure the length between the house an equipment. Does that affect anything? We are going to have a gas heater. I need help!!!!!!

Up rated pumps have a low motor service factor while full rated pmps have a higher motor service factor. A 1 HP up rated pump will have the same performance as a 3/4 HP full rated pump in the same product line. So you just need to be careful when choosing a pump and make sure you know what you are getting.

As far as head goes, high head just means that the pump can produce higher pressure. This is useful for pressure side cleaners, running solar and pushing water through lots of pipe (in-ground). If you plan on putting solar on your roof then I would go with an IG pump and one of the most efficient two speed is the Pentair WFDS-3 (3/4 Hp full rated dual speed) and WFDS-24 (1 HP Up rated dual speed). Both have exactly the same performance even though they are labeled differently. Even if you don't plan on solar, they are still not a bad choice but will be more expensive than a AG pump.

The pool store i am getting my pool from only sells the Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. None of the pool stores in my area sell 2 speed pumps (they say they dont work). What is a reputable and cheap online store to purchase a pump and filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.