Losing water out of the discharge side

CGS

Sep 15, 2008
I'm losing water out of the discharge or waste pipe when the pool is on filter. Took apart my multivalve and it looks like the gasket inside has seen better days. I'm not exactly sure which model I have because the model and serial number are faded out. HOWEVER, I could read the patent number which is 3640310. A quick google search has me thinking that it could be model number SP714TX. I do know for sure that it is a Hayward Vari-Flow. Can anyone help me out with this. I've lost so much water that I had to shut the pump down tonight in order to stop pumping the pool water out. If I can verify the model number, I'm going to call one of the local pool stores that is reasonable on their prices to see if I can find the parts that I need. If that is unsuccessful I will have them overnighted to me. I won't be able to work on the this at all Wednesday night so my next opportunity would be Thursday evening.

If possible, post a picture of the multi-valve. Someone might recognize it.
Is the valve mounted on top of the filter or on the side?
1 1/2" or 2" connections?
Is the pressure gauge mounted to the valve?
What is the specific model of the filter? Most of the Hayward filters use a specific multi-port valve.

For example the S200 and S240 with 1 1/2" ports use the SP710x32 valve.
The Hayward pro series of filters us a different 1 1/2" valve.
2" ports for the s200 and s240 use a Sp715X32 valve.
2" ports for the S210s, s220s, and s244s all use the S715X62

Once you determine the valve type, consider a "go kit" to rebuild the valve
The go kit includes the spider gasket, plastic bearing, cover o-ring, and stem o -ring as well as some lubricant for the o-rings.
The kit costs only a few dollars more than the spider gasket alone.

SP 710XD is the gasket you need for a multiport with 1.5" inlet/ outlets :cool:

I don't know how your waste line is set up, but you could plug it and run the pool while waiting to get the 710D :idea:

Watch out! make sure you know if you need a 5 spoke gasket or a 6 spoke one :!: (they make both and there is NO difference in the part number :hammer: :rant: )

Ted is the best :cheers:

Here is some additional information:

Hayward part #SP710XD or Aladdin # 0-176A for the 5 spoke gasket. SP710x/712 use Aladdin go kit #10

For multi-ports manufactured prior to 1976, the 6 spoke gasket Aladdin # 0-176. SP710/711 use GO kit #11

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.