Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Jandy AquaPure 1400 - salt readout high (erroneous)

Jandy AquaPure 1400 - salt readout high (erroneous)

Back in January the salt level reported by the SWG did not agree with pool store readings but the water temp was very cold so did not worry about it based on what I had read on this site. Now the water temp is up around 69-70 and I have a 1000 PPM difference between the SWG readout and pool store test results. Test today was 2700 PPM from the pool store and 3700-3800 reported by AquaPure. Had the same results two weeks ago at a different store.

What could cause this and how to correct? Pool was just installed in December.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

Re: Jandy AquaPure 1400 - salt readout high (erroneous)

Pool store test results are legendary for being wildly wrong sometimes. As long as the SWG appears to be working, trust it's salt readout over the pool store. The only times when a SWG salt readout is normally wrong is when the water is cold or the cell is about to fail. When the cell is failing the salt level will read lower than actual. It is more or less unheard of for the salt level to be wrong high, and common for pool stores to be way off, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

OK, that makes me feel better, thanks Jason.

What about the test strips for salt concentration, how accurate are they?
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

The AquaChek Salt test strips are quite good for most people, though some people get significant errors with them. The Taylor drop test, which costs more, is the best test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Senior Member In the Industry

I would use the Taylor salt test kit... How old is your cell??

Keven - it's a new pool installed in December so about 4 months old.

Had already contacted the PB, Jandy rep is now coming out on Monday to check. Is it something they can calibrate and if so, how?

Here is the calibration procedure from the aquapure troubleshooting guide:

Salinity Calibration

Conditions to check before calibrating

The salinity reading must be compared to a reliable outside source. ( Myron meter, titration test, etc.) Minor variations are to be expected.The flow sensor must be cleaned, and checked for damage.If unit has a Rev. 8 front board it must be tested before proceeding. Salt must NOT have been added within the last 24 hours.If a spare flow sensor is available. Connect it to the unit and place it in a bucket of the pool water to compare readings.Note-The unit must have the power turned off before either the old or new flow sensor can be installed. Each time a flow sensor is unplugged and plugged back in again the computer inside the unit must be reset by turning the power ‘off’and then ‘on’. Failure to do this will result in erroneous readings.

•Press the “Salinity”button and hold it until it beeps 3 times. The system will beep when you push it and then at 5 seconds and again at 10 seconds. Release the button after the 3rdbeep.
    •Press and release the “Temperature “button within 5 seconds to enter the salinity calibration screen.
    •The system will display the salinity reading, press the up arrowto increase the reading and the down arrow to decrease the reading.
    •When the proper reading is reached press the “Temperature”button within 5 seconds to store it in memory
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

Just wonder who is your PB?? You might get Roger out to fix it, great guy been around pools forever.. I need to check my email and see if possible I have it..

Nevermind I just found one of your old posts where you said who the PB was...

IIRC, the Aquapure uses a similar salinity test to the Pentair, conduction. Typically, they are factory set at 75 degrees. Each degree lower will yield approximately a 200 ppm drop in what it thinks the salt level is. I think your unit is behaving as expected, Adding some additional salt will cure the alarm until the temp starts climbing. Then it will think its has too much salt.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

Wow, 200 PPM per degree? Interesting to know it's affected that greatly.

Thanks for the feedback guys, will update after the Jandy rep's visit.

Hello everyone. First post. This place has been a great source of information and training to care for my own pool.

So I just had my new pool finished in Aug. PB gave me a pool service to "turn up" my pool and balance the water, etc, etc. I bought my TFT-100 kit with a Taylor Salt Drop Tester.

My Salt tester has been consistently giving me 5000PPM of salt. The Aqua Pure has been giving me 4.5g/l ~ 4500PPM. The Pool guy's salt tests, electronic gave him a result of 4200PPM, his test strips AquaCheck (I asked him to test twice) came back at 3900 then 4200.

I'm guessing my Salt drop tester is the most accurate. According to the pool calculator I will need to replace 22% of the water. Ugh....

Pool guy wants to re-calibrate the salinity sensor, to which I say Nay Nay. According to the manual, high concentrations at 5000 or more will burn out the power center. I don't feel like paying $1500 for another unit. So far this pool guy has not impressed me, however he's been doing this for a decade or more. Should I trust him???

Now to calibrate the salinity sensor, since it's temperature dependent, how would I establish a base line so that I know the SWCG is failing?? At 200PPM per degree is huge swing from summer to winter.
    ~ 12,000 gal Pool and Spa combo /w spill way and spill way feature.
    White Plaster
    Jandy Aqua Pure 1400
    Aquapure RS 6 PDA and control panel
    Jandy Variable speed E Pump, 2.0 HP
    Jandy CL cartridge filter 460SF
    Jandy LXI-N 400 Heater
    2 Jandy Valve actuators - 3rd on the way to seperate Pool cleaner
    Polaris Vac-sweep 360
    Jandy White light, 500W pool & 300W spa, & Pro Niches.
    Livermore, CA

Just tested the salinity of the pool again with the Taylor Drop salt test. Measured 5000PPM. Funny thing, the Aqua Pure 1400 just reported 5.1 g/l. Interesting....

Looks like it doesn't need calibration after all.
    ~ 12,000 gal Pool and Spa combo /w spill way and spill way feature.
    White Plaster
    Jandy Aqua Pure 1400
    Aquapure RS 6 PDA and control panel
    Jandy Variable speed E Pump, 2.0 HP
    Jandy CL cartridge filter 460SF
    Jandy LXI-N 400 Heater
    2 Jandy Valve actuators - 3rd on the way to seperate Pool cleaner
    Polaris Vac-sweep 360
    Jandy White light, 500W pool & 300W spa, & Pro Niches.
    Livermore, CA

Trust the SWG and Taylor test. Drain some water and get the reading to 3500.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

Senior Member ComputerGuyInNOLA's Avatar

I bought the Taylor K1766 test kit and I calibrate my Aqaupure 1400 to those results twice a year.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual powerfalls. polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    IIRC, the Aquapure uses a similar salinity test to the Pentair, conduction. Typically, they are factory set at 75 degrees. Each degree lower will yield approximately a 200 ppm drop in what it thinks the salt level is. I think your unit is behaving as expected, Adding some additional salt will cure the alarm until the temp starts climbing. Then it will think its has too much salt.

Scott
    Those numbers don't quite jive with my experience running our pool and Aquapure 1400 over the past winter. I would say a 200ppm drop for every TEN degrees below 75 is closer to what I observed.
    33k Gallon IG Freeform Gunite built in 1989 - Renovated Spring 2012 with Diamondbrite Plaster and elevated spa converted to waterfall
    Jandy Aqualink PDA Automation & Control System - Jandy PlusHP 1.5hp Full rated Pump - Hayward 36in Sand Filter - Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit