Solar heater questions

I'd like to heat my pool (14x28) using a solar system + blanket, but I have a few questions. I live in southern Ontario, so anything I can do to expand the number of days using the pool would be a bonus.

1) Any preference/difference between Enersol, Sun Heater and Fafco other than warranty length?

2) Size for this pool seems to be 16x10 in panels. I have measured the portion of my roof that faces south and I can fit maybe 12x10 panels.
a) Should I just downsize to what I can fit, or
b) would I try to continue the panels around onto another side of the roof (i.e. SW)?

3) How much space do I need above and below the panels for piping? I just did a rough measurement today, so depending on the answer I may have less space up there than I thought.

I do have a few more questions, but I'll start with these. Any help would be appreciated.

I'd just go with what you can get in the space. Any heat helps.

Generally you need about 6" above the panels for mounting, and you don't need much at all below them. The plumbing comes out the sides of the headers. Be careful if you have a shingled continuous ridge vent, because you can't anchor to that. You also need to allow for panel tilt for draining, which can be several inches over the length of a set of panels.

Here's a picture of mine:

IMG_1071.jpg

That's 6 4'X8' panels on a 26' roof length. The short lens and angle kind of hides the tilt at the bottom, but you can see the panels are closer to the ridge on the right than on the left.

JohnT said:
I'd just go with what you can get in the space. Any heat helps.

Generally you need about 6" above the panels for mounting, and you don't need much at all below them. The plumbing comes out the sides of the headers. Be careful if you have a shingled continuous ridge vent, because you can't anchor to that. You also need to allow for panel tilt for draining, which can be several inches over the length of a set of panels.

Here's a picture of mine:

IMG_1071.jpg

That's 6 4'X8' panels on a 26' roof length. The short lens and angle kind of hides the tilt at the bottom, but you can see the panels are closer to the ridge on the right than on the left.

Thanks for the info.

I'm surprised - no one else has any comments on which type to go for?

javo said:
John T (Mod Squad) ... ¿what material are your panels from?.
They look simple and efficient.

They are made by Solar Depot and made of polypropylene. I chose them primarily because I needed 8ft panels which limited the manufacturers I could use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.