Liner Replacement Question

Apr 30, 2010
Portage, MI
I have a local builder coming out to do a liner replacement but it will be sometime in May before the install can be completed. My existing liner is starting to tear down past the water line and my question is this. Is is safe to drain the pool for an extended period of time if the liner is being replaced? The pool is a 16x32 inground with what appears to be galvanized walls behind the liner and what I believe is a vermiculite bottom.

I replaced my liner last year because it was leaking. I did not care how low the water level was because the liner was going to be replaced. I think it isn't "safe" to lower the water level for liner pools because if its not underwater it gets hit by the sun and can stretch or damage the liner prematurely, but since it's getting tossed out anyways then it doesn't matter.

Hopefully one of the industry pool guys will comment on this. I am not sure, but I think there is a risk of the walls being pushed out of place if you get a lot of rain while the pool is nearly empty.

It is mostly a question of the local water table depth and to some extent it also depends on what kind of soil you have. You don't want to lower the water level below the water table depth, especially if your soil is unstable.

By my assumptions I believe I'm well above the local water table. There is a 4 ft retaining wall around the pool where it was brought up to level off and then another 10ft retaining wall just off the end of my yard as we are on a hill. I've made a sad attempt to draw this up in Paint:

[attachment=0:2ghbx6mp]pool layout.png[/attachment:2ghbx6mp]

Based on this my only additional concern would then be if the soil shifts correct? Would i at least be safe in lowering it down past this tear that's moving into the liner? Currently the water is about 3ft from the top edge and the tear is only just past the surface.

Attachments

• pool layout.png
    pool layout.png
    21 KB · Views: 101
Lowering the water level a foot or two should be fine. Soil issues aren't a big deal until you are down to the base of the wall.

The water table will come up across the slope, so it will be higher than the retaining pond underneath your pool, but it should still be quite low in that situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.