Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner Replacement Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner Replacement Question

I have a local builder coming out to do a liner replacement but it will be sometime in May before the install can be completed. My existing liner is starting to tear down past the water line and my question is this. Is is safe to drain the pool for an extended period of time if the liner is being replaced? The pool is a 16x32 inground with what appears to be galvanized walls behind the liner and what I believe is a vermiculite bottom.
    Vinyl IG, 19k gal, Intelliflo Variable Speed, Hayward S244T Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liner Replacement Question

I replaced my liner last year because it was leaking. I did not care how low the water level was because the liner was going to be replaced. I think it isn't "safe" to lower the water level for liner pools because if its not underwater it gets hit by the sun and can stretch or damage the liner prematurely, but since it's getting tossed out anyways then it doesn't matter.
    16' x 32' IG 12K GAL, VINYL
    HAYWARD SUPER II .75 HP
    HAYWARD C-1750 CARTRIDGE

3. Back To Top    #3

Hopefully one of the industry pool guys will comment on this. I am not sure, but I think there is a risk of the walls being pushed out of place if you get a lot of rain while the pool is nearly empty.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That would totally depend on how the water table is in your area. I assure you---------an empty pool can float!
    Or an empty one can shift and crack your bottom.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

It is mostly a question of the local water table depth and to some extent it also depends on what kind of soil you have. You don't want to lower the water level below the water table depth, especially if your soil is unstable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

By my assumptions I believe I'm well above the local water table. There is a 4 ft retaining wall around the pool where it was brought up to level off and then another 10ft retaining wall just off the end of my yard as we are on a hill. I've made a sad attempt to draw this up in Paint:

[attachment=0:2ghbx6mp]pool layout.png[/attachment:2ghbx6mp]

Based on this my only additional concern would then be if the soil shifts correct? Would i at least be safe in lowering it down past this tear that's moving into the liner? Currently the water is about 3ft from the top edge and the tear is only just past the surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vinyl IG, 19k gal, Intelliflo Variable Speed, Hayward S244T Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Lowering the water level a foot or two should be fine. Soil issues aren't a big deal until you are down to the base of the wall.

The water table will come up across the slope, so it will be higher than the retaining pond underneath your pool, but it should still be quite low in that situation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School