Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool cover torn apart.....help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

pool cover torn apart.....help!!

we had a huge wind storm the other day which took out my above ground pool cover and dumped the water on top into the pool. It held up well all winter until this wind storm. What do I do now. It is only early April and I live in Buffalo. We won't be swimming for about 2 and a half months yet at least. Do I buy another cover and redo or start treating the water now, or leave it until it warms up some???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool cover torn apart.....help!!

Unless you plan on starting your pump, I would just buy a new cover. Your going to need it anyway.
    23K Gunite IG Pool
    Waterway Crystal Water SVL56 Pump/1.5HP AO Smith Motor
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter C17502
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360

3. Back To Top    #3

Is your filter system currently installed and operational or did you break it down for the offseason?
    I think whether or not you do somehting is tied to whetehr or not you want to put things back now .. what if they freeze while outside this early in the season etc... (I am in Cleveland and we are still near freezing too...)
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure if this is the best answer but...

You've probably got a LOT of 'stuff' in the pool, scooping out as much as you can now is a good idea. If you're not going to be able to swim (weather wise) for 2 months, I'd leave it as that for now. Plan on getting the pump system running a couple weeks before you open so you can deal with the mess and be ready for the first day you CAN swim

If you're likely to get lots of spring debris (like from trees), slap a new cover on - if not, let it sit as it is and know you've got your work cut out for you, when you do open the pool
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

" (I am in Cleveland and we are still near freezing too...) "
    Hey Red Shirt Ensign, I live about an hour or so from you in a suburb of beeeeeeeeeeeutiful Youngstown, Ohio.

I am beginning to wonder if we will ever have weather nice enough in which to swim. Rain,, snow, wind, debris. You name it, we have seen it this spring!

As for Jimbo010, the amount of work with which you will be faced come opening will depend partially on what you do now. cover and wait or leave open and wait. either way, you (WE) have to wait to get in to clean and swim. It can't get here soon enough! (The swimming, not the cleaning )
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

6. Back To Top    #6

Dora your not lying that's for sure! Im waiting for an install date for my new pool and Temps and rain will not cooperate!! I may never get it at this rate!

I'm glad I plunked down now for the gas heater because I may need to get any use of it this summer! 2 summers ago we had 3 days above 80 all summer! (near the lake)
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator