Installing Pool Light - Inlet size issue.

billm

Aug 31, 2010
Hey Guys,

I bought a Melody Sol LED pool light to replace my Fiber Optic kit. The inlet is a 1.5" fitting so I thought it should work.

However, after I drained the pool and tried pushing in the LED light, I noticed there was a small lip just inside the plastic fitting. It's about 2" long and then expands back out to the full size PVC tube to traverse back up to the access panel.

I'm wondering what I can do? Use a hole saw and cut out the lip? Try filing it down? Call in a professional? Buy a different light?

I attached some pictures to show the lip.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 05, 11 09 45 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 05, 11 09 45 AM.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 149
So I did some more investigation, the OD of my light is 1 1/2" (just as they said). However, this metal fitting that got plumbed into the concrete has an ID of 1 3/8".

Know of any way I can make the clearance? I'm tempted to run a 1 1/2" drill bit through the hole enlarging the metal fitting the 1/8" I need.

Thoughts?

A hole saw won't do it. There are drill bits that are designed to drill out the inside. How much deeper do you need to go? Since this isn't a pressure/suction application, thinning the wall there should be OK with the bit. Look up Ram Bit. Many plumbing stores have them.

Scott

Hey thanks for the feedback.

Messing up the concrete (gunite) or creating a leak is my biggest concern too.

Finding a 1 1/2" drill bit makes a lot more sense than a hole saw, thanks. The pool light needs 1 1/2" and the metal fitting they put in ( in the otherwise 1 1/2" tube) is 1 3/8". I need to bore out 1/8". In other words, decrease the thickness of the metal pipe wall by only 1/16" all the way around.

Since the metal fitting is encased in concrete i dont know how thick of a wall it has. I don't want to bore into it's threads if I make the wall too thin.

Bill

billm said:
Hey thanks for the feedback.

Messing up the concrete (gunite) or creating a leak is my biggest concern too.

Finding a 1 1/2" drill bit makes a lot more sense than a hole saw, thanks. The pool light needs 1 1/2" and the metal fitting they put in ( in the otherwise 1 1/2" tube) is 1 3/8". I need to bore out 1/8". In other words, decrease the thickness of the metal pipe wall by only 1/16" all the way around.

Since the metal fitting is encased in concrete i dont know how thick of a wall it has. I don't want to bore into it's threads if I make the wall too thin.

Bill

You only have to remove 1/16" of the wall thickness, so I would give it a shot.

At lowes, and home depot, they have sanding drums that go into a drill chuck. That is what I would use to sand it.

Wow,

who would have ever thought that the 1.5" fitment of that light would have been down to the 1/32". I've noticed that some models of those lights actually taper.
I'm pretty happy to see that someone is using one of these lights as I've been looking into one myself. I like it because of the ease of the installation and the low voltage non bonding idea.

I'm looking at the Blanco myself, but am having trouble finding a store that will ship to Canada.

Good luck.

brownsburg said:
Wow,

who would have ever thought that the 1.5" fitment of that light would have been down to the 1/16". I've noticed that some models of those lights actually taper.
I'm pretty happy to see that someone is using one of these lights as I've been looking into one myself. I like it because of the ease of the installation and the low voltage non bonding idea.

I'm looking at the Blanco myself, but am having trouble finding a store that will ship to Canada.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.