Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stone/Cement Coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Stone/Cement Coping

Hey Everyone,

I've noticed in a lot of the pool pics, many people have the stone or cement deck that directly overlaps into the pool. This seems like a really nice feature that makes the deck wider and looks nicer (vs. the old plastic coping that I have one the pool now).

I had a couple of questions about it though. Is it a problem for when you get out of the pool not using the ladder/steps? The one plus with the plastic type stuff is it makes a smooth surface to get out with. Also, how does it work? Is it a special type of coping that you just go right over with the deck, or is the stone/concrete actually part of the coping?

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'
    Rob, I think what you're asking about is a 'cantilever deck' in which the poured deck overhangs the pool an inch or so, you need a special form to hold the crete in place until it's set up enough to do the final finish work on it. They look great but if you have a liner pool, they make the liner installation a little more difficult.
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Suwanee, GA
    I liked the look also but my PB talked me out of it. He would do it with an expansion joint between the beam on the decking, but not one piece. The decking is likely to settle while the pool's beam will not.
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mt. Vernon, Illinois
    I really like the looks of it but on mine, the styrofoam forms slipped in a few places and once that happens, theres not much you can do so mine taks a dip of a few inches in a couple of places. It really stands out like a sore thumb to me.
    My Pool:
    12K gal Fiberglass. Pentair DE Filter, Aqua Logic SWG, GoldLine Controls, Kreepy Krauley pool cleaner, MiniMax 250 Heater, Pentair FiberWorks Fiber optic lighting, Pentair 1 1/2HP Pump, a new shiny TF100 test kit, a clear pool and 3 happy kids