Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ok everything is just about perfect with the BBB BUT........

1. Back To Top    #1

Ok everything is just about perfect with the BBB BUT........

I can't find any information about adding salt to a swimming pool that has no salt water chlorine generator.
    I know Jason said I could and I've read somewhere else that they have added salt to a regular chlorine pool,but no matter how I ask the question on a search engine....they don't seem to understand that I don't have a swcg and I don't intend to install one....I just want to know the correct way to add salt to a regular pool and what the salt solution limits would be.

Thank you in advance.
    And thank you all so much for helping get this BBB set up and straightened out.
    11000 gal L shaped gunite pool with and aggragate plaster
    Pentair cartridge filtration with 1.5 hp pump
    only have 3 returns and one dedicated vacuum line
    manifold to pump is three valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ok everything is just about perfect with the BBB BUT....

Here's the down and salty of it!

1. Test your water to see how much salt is in there now.
    2. Use the Pool Calc to determine how much salt you need to bring it to about 2000 ppm.
    3. Go to your local Pool or big box store and buy that much salt.
    4. Turn on your pump and let it run for at least two days after adding salt.
    5. Start dumping in all the bags of salt that you got in #3.
    6. Stir the salt around with your pool brush, etc until it's dissolved.
    7. Return your pump to it's regularly sechduled program after two days.
    8. Dive in and enjoy!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

This portion of Pool School mentions the type of salts you should use...

pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    4. Turn on your pump and let it run for at least two days.
    Curious why you need to do this?
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Would this actually make the water "feel" better even without a SWCG? If so, I might be interested myself.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Just to make sure the salt is completely mixed in the pool water. It really wouldn't hurt anything if you didn't, but you may have spots of high salinity water for a while if you don't.

Woody -- People say it makes the water softer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Just to make sure the salt is completely mixed in the pool water. It really wouldn't hurt anything if you didn't, but you may have spots of high salinity water for a while if you don't.
    Oh... I think you wanted that to be the step after you add salt. The way it is written it seemed to me something you would do prior to adding salt. Then again, I am stupid at times.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, After rereading it, it did sound like I wanted it ran for two days prior to adding the salt. I edited the post to make it clearer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

We've done this for 2 years now - trust me it makes the water feel much softer and your skin feels a lot better after you get out! Use the solar salt - just dump it in and enjoy!
    10,000 gallon inground vinyl FOXX pool - built in 1999. Hayward sand filter. 3/4 HP 2-speed pump with timer. Hayward Aquarite SWG t-3 cell. Love the BBB method - pool has never looked better!

10. Back To Top    #10

This sounds like something I may want to try. It seems fairly cheap to try but are there any negative's or does it change any other conditions in a normal plaster chlorine pool? Also, how fast does salt last, how often will I have to add more?
    25,000gal Plaster
    Pentair Nautilus NS-60 DE Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Salt can damage some of the softer natural stones. Otherwise, no disadvantages.

Salt is only lost to splash out, backwashing, and overflow. Normally you only need to add some more once per season.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

We did that for a long time before we went to a SWG. It felt great and loved it. Then we thought, if it's already in there, lets make use of it. Got a SWG, so now if feels great and works for us too.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

13. Back To Top    #13

I ws reading this post and am not quite sure why you would use salt without a SWG? Does it just make the water feel better on the skin?
    AG Intex Ultra Frame
    Round 16 ft x 48 in, 5061 gal
    2500 gph Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter
    BBB

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by cmbutterbaugh
    I ws reading this post and am not quite sure why you would use salt without a SWG? Does it just make the water feel better on the skin?
    Yes, some people say that it makes the water feel silkier. It is also much easier on the eyes open in the water since the higher salt level of 3000 ppm is closer to that of human tears of 9000 ppm so there is less osmotic pressure from water entering the eye.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Here's the down and salty of it!

1. Test your water to see how much salt is in there now.
    2. Use the Pool Calc to determine how much salt you need to bring it to about 2000 ppm.
    3. Go to your local Pool or big box store and buy that much salt.
    4. Turn on your pump and let it run for at least two days after adding salt.
    5. Start dumping in all the bags of salt that you got in #3.
    6. Stir the salt around with your pool brush, etc until it's dissolved.
    7. Return your pump to it's regularly sechduled program after two days.
    8. Dive in and enjoy!
    This is probably a *really* dumb question, but should everyone stay out of the pool for the 48 hours while the pump is circulating the salt? I often have this same question, regardless of the chemical/additive being discussed. If anyone can point me to a good thread regarding when to stay out and when it's OK to get in, I would be grateful. I have so much to learn, even though I spend pretty much every night here, reading! TIA!
    - Michelle in SE Michigan (suburban Detroit)

54" Desert Spring Doughboy 21x41' oval AG pool, with 7' deep end on half the pool - approximately 23,000 gallons. Including 2 returns/skimmers/main drains, 300lb Doughboy sand filter, 2HP Doughboy pump.

16. Back To Top    #16

Salt is harmless, you can swim while adding salt if you want to. The same goes for baking soda. It is best to stay out for half an hour when adding bleach or chlorine to make sure you don't swim through a high concentration before it mixes in thoroughly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok everything is just about perfect with the BBB BUT........

Not to hijack this thread, but would it be safe to swim while adding borax? Also, is the proper way to add borax just to spread all around the perimeter?
    25,000gal Plaster
    Pentair Nautilus NS-60 DE Filter

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

I would prefer to see borax added slowly through the skimmer but around the pool and then brushed off the pool floor (if necessary) will work, too.

Perfectly safe to swim in a pool having just put borax in.....no time limit
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School