What is Stabilized Chlorine

vince

Sep 12, 2007
Another novice question. What do you guys mean when you talk about Stabilized Chlorine.

Is all granular and tablets stabilized chlorine?
Is Trichlor considered stabilized chlorine?
Is Sodium Dichlor considered Stabilized chlorine?

Is there any tablet, stick or granular chlorine that is unstabilized that a person could use in their pool besides using liquid chlorine?

What if I just use Calcium Hypochlorite as my only source of chlorine and none of the above?

Stabilized chlorine means that there is stablizer or CYA in the product. If you only want chlorine use liquid bleach or you can use the Calcium Hypochlorite. Though this also contains calcium and for certain kinds of pools you need to watch those levels.

Dichlor (typical granular) and trichlor (typically tablets) are "stabilized chlorine" because they contain CYA. Cal-hypo is not technically stabilized chlorine, since it uses calcium unstead of CYA. In all three cases they add things to your water that you may not want (either CYA or calcium). There is a fourth kind, lithium hypochlorite, which doesn't have that problem (lithium is not a significant issue), but it tends to be far more expensive.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Mona & Jason

I am away a lot on business and can not put liquid chlorine in my pool every day so I'm looking for chlorine that I can slowly add to my pool without adding all that CYA. Is there anything out there I can use?

Thanks again
Vince

Thanks for the help.

The Liquidator looks cool but I'm not sure it will hold enough as I am away for extended periods some times but the SWG looks promising. I'm going to check that out a little further. Thanks again you guys and gals have been GREAT!

Vince

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.