Useful links for fellow Intex Pool Owners

Re: Useful links for fellow Intex Pool Owners

does anyone know the dimensions of the retrained strap for a 24x12x52 rectangular pool? None came with my pool and intex won't have them until whenever so I have to make something work... thank you

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I take it you have an Intex pool? Let us know what kind. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about these pools. There are many people with these pools so you should get great advice for any of your questions.
:cheers:
Hello, I have a 22x52 intex above ground pool and last night it sprung a leak. I patched it with a mainstays patch from Wal-Mart but I'm nervous about it holding because it's on the seem at the bottom where the bottom meets the sides and there's about a 1" lip that I had to put the patch over.

Hello, I am interested in purchasing the pool model you have. My question is - What is the minimum actual water depth I could operate this pool at? I want to let my 9 yr old grow with it and keep my teenager in it too. Any advice before purchasing greatly appreciated!

Thank you for all of these links! I’m starting over this summer since the poles were rusted just about through on my Intex pool. Each of the 3 summers I had the pool, I learned more and more from this site. I’m looking to to it right this time - starting with a bigger pump, adding a wall skimmer, pvc pipes, getting an automatic vacuum before I start chasing my tail like last time lol. These links are inspiring and will help so very much!!

Reactions: Marie6985m
Came here looking for some suggestions but most stuff was a bit outdated. Therefore, it's time to contribute.

Context

I recently purchased an Intex Prism 12' x 30" pool and wanted to adapt the pool to leverage 1 1/2" PVC. Said PVC would ultimately connect to an Intex SWG and an Intex Pool Skimmer. Here are the parts I used to make this happen.

First up, I had to cut the liner and replace the 1 1/4" water return inlets of the pool with Hayward 1-1/2 inch inlet return fittings. These enable the connection to 1 1/2" PVC.

IMG_3482.jpg

In the event that my pool is in use while the filter is running, I bought these Hayward Inlet Fittings (Model SP1026) to protect small appendages from getting sucked into the "Murder Hole" accidentally.

Next, I bought GAME 4560 40mm to 1 1/2" Conversion Kit fittings to connect the PVC pipe to the larger Intex hoses that come with most of their SWGs.

In order to retain the functionality of the Intex skimmer mentioned above, I purchased this Hayward 1 1/2" Elbow hose adapter (Model SPX1105Z4). This adapter replaces the blue screw on fitting that is included with the skimmer and fits the skimmer hose perfectly. If you look closely, you should be able to discern the fitting through the water.

IMG_3484.jpg

I found these Swimline Pool Return Plugs worked great to keep the water in the pool during the construction (and repeated test fitting) of my PVC piping.

Bonus suggestion

One issue that seems to affect many Intex Skimmers is a lack of suction, particularly for those who have two return inlets. While plugging one of the two return inlets seems like the obvious solution, doing so actually introduces air into the water line which is a disaster waiting to happen. While the Intex Skimmer comes with a special plug to address this issue, this plug is meant to work with the 1 1/4" hoses that come with the pool.

To solve for this issue on upgraded inlets, I found the Hayward MIP Inlet with 3/8" opening (Model SP1419B) works beautifully. The fitting allows just enough water to flow through its return inlet without negatively impacting the suction available to the Intex Skimmer on the second return inlet.

Hopefully someone else finds this information helpful. Happy swimming!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm installing an 18'x52" Intex XTR pool in my backyard. When doing research for the upgrades I was sadden that most of the pictures were missing. In my post I will be adding pictures of our install and then links to the products I used. I really hope it helps other posters when install their pools.

Attachments

• 20220307_145828.jpg
    20220307_145828.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 12
  • tractor scraping 2.jpg
    tractor scraping 2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 10
  • pump house 2.jpg
    pump house 2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220614_100220.jpg
    20220614_100220.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220614_100227.jpg
    20220614_100227.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220614_100231.jpg
    20220614_100231.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220614_100249.jpg
    20220614_100249.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 10
  • pool equipment 2.jpg
    pool equipment 2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220617_141758 (2).jpg
    20220617_141758 (2).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220617_141815 (2).jpg
    20220617_141815 (2).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 13
I wanted to update my post and add new pictures to it but I thought it might be easier to just make a new post. Ok first off, everyone on youtube makes it look so easy to hard plumb an intex pool. It's total Crud for us anyways. We had everything ready to go and turned on the pump only to find 4 or 5 leaks. It didn't help that we used that blue and black hose. We ended up changing to white flex pvc hose. Those do not leak! They were so hard to put on the hose barbs. After we got those on, then we found leaks on the pump and filter connections. Ugh! Out of frustration my hubby took everything apart again. He then added megaloc to the fittings with the teflon tape. That seemed to do the trick so far. Now we are trying to get the water balanced!

Attachments

• 20220629_192842 2.jpg
    20220629_192842 2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220629_192907 2.jpg
    20220629_192907 2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220630_113458 2.jpg
    20220630_113458 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 12
I wanted to update my post and add new pictures to it but I thought it might be easier to just make a new post. Ok first off, everyone on youtube makes it look so easy to hard plumb an intex pool. It's total Crud for us anyways. We had everything ready to go and turned on the pump only to find 4 or 5 leaks. It didn't help that we used that blue and black hose. We ended up changing to white flex pvc hose. Those do not leak! They were so hard to put on the hose barbs. After we got those on, then we found leaks on the pump and filter connections. Ugh! Out of frustration my hubby took everything apart again. He then added megaloc to the fittings with the teflon tape. That seemed to do the trick so far. Now we are trying to get the water balanced!
I could be wrong but I think the flex pvc just glues into regular pvc fittings, don't think it is meant to go over barbed fittings. those are for pool and spa hose. different stuff (the pvc is way better)

I could be wrong but I think the flex pvc just glues into regular pvc fittings, don't think it is meant to go over barbed fittings. those are for pool and spa hose. different stuff (the pvc is way better)
You're probably right and that just show what amateurs we are with plumbing! LOL Everything is up and running good.

Hi Everyone, :wave:

Spring is right around the corner and the seasonal pools will start to be unpacked and put together for another pool season. Questions will start to fly as the weather gets better. As a fellow Intex pool owner I have received many emails and pm's about the Intex pool and various modifications I have done to the pool. There are many threads about these pools from other members that have the same, if not better, ideas to make these pools more enjoyable and efficient. I thought I would put together a list of links about these pools. Please feel free to ask questions and post answers on this thread.

Here we go:

Census Poll on Intex Users
Intex Pool Inground
Never Buy Intex Type A Filter Again
Intex SWG with Copper Question
Upgraded Plumbing and Thru-wall Skimmer
Second Return and Fountain for Intex Pool
Making Plumbing Adapters for Intex SWG
Custom PVC Pipe Adapter for Intex Pools
Winterizing an Intex Metal Frame Pool
Intex 1000gph Pump vs 2500gph is like Night and Day
Cutting My Intex Pool
Trouble keeping Intex Easy Set Ring Inflated
Too Unlevel
Easy Set Pool How to Run the Skimmer and Main Drain Together
Pool Water relief in an Intex Pool
Adding Thru-wall Skimmer
Intex Pool and Deck Build
Backyard build in Central Texas
Hard plumbed Intex pool
Heated Intex Pool
Intex Easy Set Skimmer Bracket MOD
Cutting Larger Intake and Return Holes

As more fine topics are posted I will update the links.

Mod Note:
Please feel free to add more useful links to this thread. If you have questions please ask them in your own new thread.

Hi Everyone, :wave:

Spring is right around the corner and the seasonal pools will start to be unpacked and put together for another pool season. Questions will start to fly as the weather gets better. As a fellow Intex pool owner I have received many emails and pm's about the Intex pool and various modifications I have done to the pool. There are many threads about these pools from other members that have the same, if not better, ideas to make these pools more enjoyable and efficient. I thought I would put together a list of links about these pools. Please feel free to ask questions and post answers on this thread.

Here we go:

Census Poll on Intex Users
Intex Pool Inground
Never Buy Intex Type A Filter Again
Intex SWG with Copper Question
Upgraded Plumbing and Thru-wall Skimmer
Second Return and Fountain for Intex Pool
Making Plumbing Adapters for Intex SWG
Custom PVC Pipe Adapter for Intex Pools
Winterizing an Intex Metal Frame Pool
Intex 1000gph Pump vs 2500gph is like Night and Day
Cutting My Intex Pool
Trouble keeping Intex Easy Set Ring Inflated
Too Unlevel
Easy Set Pool How to Run the Skimmer and Main Drain Together
Pool Water relief in an Intex Pool
Adding Thru-wall Skimmer
Intex Pool and Deck Build
Backyard build in Central Texas
Hard plumbed Intex pool
Heated Intex Pool
Intex Easy Set Skimmer Bracket MOD
Cutting Larger Intake and Return Holes

As more fine topics are posted I will update the links.

Mod Note:
Please feel free to add more useful links to this thread. If you have questions please ask them in your own new thread.

Suggest adding:
Thread 'Intex Pool fountain' Intex Pool fountain
Completed this addition to my easy set last week and it's working great! I wanted a fountain to cool off my easy set 13x33, but didn't want to have build from scratch and didn't want to mount it outside the pool. This was a simple and low cost solution.

After having my pool going on a month now, the one thing I am very glad that I used was Foam Board Insulation under my pool. It's the 4x8 sheets that come in various thicknesses at Lowes or Home Depot. I went with 1/2" thick. The blue store brand kind. it has the psi rating I needed for a 20'x52" pool. so it did not compress too much under the water. I laid the sheets in my driveway and taped them all together and then cut a circle. then it folded in half like a Taco to carry around to the back yard.
I weigh 150 and can stand on one tip toe and feel it compress or divot if I try to make that happen. Else, it just feels like a nice padding to separate from the rocks underneath. I did not use sand. I live in Alabama where it is just red clay and limestone. So my floor is not the flattest, but the foundation is solid.

Cost was $300 give or take. I mostly wanted the piece of mind that a rock would not work its way up into the liner.
Just be sure not to get the brittle stuff that snaps. I like the rebound and flex of the blue lowes brand.

The leg supports must be on brick or thick treated lumber. Just back-cut a relief in the foam.

I added the hayward skimmer and could not live without it! This plus some basket socks and life is easy. I opted to not have a ball valve below the skimmer. It has a nice 1.5" tube opening and those ball valves neck that down to about 1" even when free flowing. I use the skimmer as the plug in for my 1.5" vacuum hose and get great suction. I kept the two original return holes and lines and just Tee'd into those. This way, I can pull water from three places and get great water turn over or I can close the side returns and go full skimmer for great vacuum or top level bug cleaning.

There are you tube videos out there for all of this. It just takes some searching to find them. the key words above should get you there.

My next task is to cover the gaps where the liner Tee posts are like so:

You can actually purchase high density foam, like this from Brock White: Brock White | Dow Styrofoam Hi-40, 2"x4'x8'

The "Highload 40" foam is rated to a minimum of 40 PSI compressive strength and holds up much better than the typical HD foam under the pool with respect to dents etc. I used the 2" under our pool. I found poly sheathing tape tape (the red stuff) has performed very well over a few years, including winter as I just leave the base in place all year. I have a layer of landscape fabric over the foam to protect it from UV.

pool_solar2019_2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.