Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this payment schedule usual for fiberglass pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this payment schedule usual for fiberglass pool?

Does this look typical?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this payment schedule usual for fiberglass pool?

Yea, that is fairly typical. It is always better for the buyer to have more money then that held to the end, and it is better for the builder to have more money up front. So there is always some tension about this kind of thing. Some places are willing to negotiate on things like this and some aren't, but there still needs to be a fair amount of money up front.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

One thing I might suggest (meaning I wish I had been wise enough to do it myself), I would make the 10% plumbing and mechanical payment contingent on final approval of the city and their signoff on the building permit. Little did I know my PB never took care of that and two years later the city showed up on my doorstep and I had to deal with all the final inspections and making sure everything was up to code at that time. Just a thought, not sure if they already do that, or if it is even possible.
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by beaumatt
    One thing I might suggest (meaning I wish I had been wise enough to do it myself), I would make the 10% plumbing and mechanical payment contingent on final approval of the city and their signoff on the building permit. Little did I know my PB never took care of that and two years later the city showed up on my doorstep and I had to deal with all the final inspections and making sure everything was up to code at that time. Just a thought, not sure if they already do that, or if it is even possible.
    That's a good suggestion. We just had to have a new septic system installed and the final payment was contingent on the county inspector signing off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, my PB didn't do the final, but I scheduled it myself and passed. Fortunately in Carroll County, MD, it's easy to determine where all the inspections are (on line search). I made sure all my finals were done prior to opening the pool this year. Even if someone else applies for the permit, the homeowner can always schedule inspections.
    Also, I would put as much as the final payment as possible. Mine was 4% of the total cost and things still need done. If it would have been 20%, I'm sure everything would already be done! It's very taxing.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with what has been said, it is better to have a larger final payment. Mine was 5% and it took a call from my attorney to get the pb back after he disappeared for 2.5 mos with 95% of my money and 65% of the work finished... He did return and finished the job to my satisfaction, but it was difficult for me to be diplomatic and cordial about the whole ordeal. It was a six week build that was finished in as little as five months. But he did finish and do what he said he was going to do.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes I agree, I wish I had put more money at the end. I am 95% paid and only 75% finished. I do have a final construction end date with penalties if not finished. But it is still an uneasy feeling when there are days when they could be working, but no one shows up.
    21,500 Gunite Free Form ~ 18'X40', Sun Deck w/ foam jets auto valve, 3-Laminar Deck Jets w/ auto Valve, 1-Swim out, 3' to 8' deep, NPT Raku Tile
    All Sched 80 Pipe, Pentair Easy Touch control, Pentair pump and Sand Filter, Raypack Heater, White Plaster, Saline Chlorine Generation, Letro Platinum cleaner w/ booster