Best Concrete Choice for Decking Around Pool

ccp

Nov 7, 2010
I am building a pool in Southern California and am looking for advice on the best type of concrete finish to put around my pool. I am thinking about doing exposed aggregate with 1/4" pebbles. I have a couple concerns. Will it get too hot on our feet, will it be too slippery or could it be too rough? If anyone has any experience I would love to get some advice.

Attachments

• 200444_1888793934989_1095678651_32227982_8104467_n.jpg
    200444_1888793934989_1095678651_32227982_8104467_n.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 503
  • 207691_1888792694958_1095678651_32227976_3967845_n.jpg
    207691_1888792694958_1095678651_32227976_3967845_n.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 499
I don't know about "best" but our selection was Sundek textured spray coating over the concrete base. We had our existing covered concrete patio treated with the same material. There are various finishes and colors available. The PB's standard offering was pea gravel (exposed aggregate). We did not want that as we don't really care for that look plus it does not feel good on your feet. We walked barefoot on the Sundek by the PB's demo pool around noon in late August on a sunny day and it felt just fine. Sundek will cost more than the exposed aggregate but in our case we felt like it was money well spent.

You can see some pics of our pool build here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-pool-build-new-caney-tx-t28349.html

Here's a link to the mfr's website: http://www.sundek.com/

BTW, that's going to be a fantastic looking pool.

Do you live in coastal (cool) or inland (hot) southern California? If coastal, I think Kooldek/Sundek/etc. would be a waste of money, since it's intended to make burning hot decking slightly less burning hot.

I would say use pavers, but it looks like you have forms all laid out for a pour. In that case, I would go for a stamped and colored concrete.

Whatever you do make sure it is not slippery. If you pour it, I suggest a concrete with fine aggregate with a light acid wash to give it some texture. Kooldeck is a good option. I went with pavers for various reasons listed in my puild build in this forum. BTW the pool is looking awesssommmme !!

I have the exposed aggregate deck. It DOES get hot with direct sun in the summer. The traction is nice, however, it does feel just slightly rough on bare feet at times but not a big deal. It is time to clean and seal mine, so that will probably make it feel smoother.

A neighbor has the Kooldeck. I really like it and yes it is cooler. However, my neighbor hates it because it has a constant film of meldew/dirt in the recessed parts of the texture all the time that is difficult to clean out.

Stamped/colored concrete sounds like a great choice.

I live in the Inland Empire, specifically Corona. It is hot in the summer.
Thanks for all the advice. I think we are going to go with a colored concrete and expose 1/4" aggregate in it. I think we are going to sponge it off to expose the aggregate. We are going to use colored concrete with a Topcast 3 to make it slightly less slippery for the sports court.
If any one sees any problems with this or has advice, please post. We are hoping to pour this weekend.
Thanks for the help and the compliments on the pool. It has been a fun and mentally tiring process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.