Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CPVC leak from pump

1. Back To Top    #1

CPVC leak from pump

Hello to everyone, I'm fairly knowledgeable working with PVC repairs but I will require very detailed instructions.
    Pipe is leaking just below the fitting coming from the top of the pump. (Pressure side Any suggestions on a better setup or perhaps using a quick disconnect union in this area would be greatly appreciated. I attempted to highlight in red the leaking fitting. The discolored PVC is from 3 seasons of intense SWArizona heat
    Thanks in advance for your help.

[attachment=0:3cwkbutv]Filter Pump leak.jpg[/attachment:3cwkbutv]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10,000 gallons IG Freeform, 8ft raised spa,pebble finish
    FNS 60 Sqft DE Filter,2HP Whisperflow for Pool/Spa filtering
    2HP Whisperflow for Spa jets
    1HP Whisperflow for Waterfall
    Master Temp 400,000 Btu Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CPVC leak from pump

I'd probably put a union in the longest stretch of straight pipe to the right of the pump. Actually I'd probably replace that whole run and add a union above the pump. That way you can tighten the threaded fitting later if needed. I'm always paranoid about overtightening it.

The adapter going into the pump doesn't look like a typical pool part since it's smaller than the ell. When you replace, use pipe joint compound designed for plastic pipe
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd just replumb from the pump to the last elbow before the filter. Cut the pipe about halfway between the 90 and 45 elbows, unscrew it from the pump and toss it, and you'll be good to go. Make sure you clean the threads really well and use LOTS of pipe dope; those threaded joints are very prone to small leaks, as you've just learned
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Melt in the sun: Got it, should I use a union or not?

John T: The gray pipe is a threaded adapter which was threaded on both ends. The pb cut the other end and used it as a slip into the 90deg.
    So I should use the sch80 with a union? I guess the question is to union or not to union?

Oh is all this available at Lowes or HD? I have the pipe dope,blue glue, and a good hacksaw blade.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think most of us would Union when ever possible. If you ever need to change the pump in the future, life is much better.

I've seen 1 1/2 and 2" unions at HD. Kinda hit or miss though.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd use 2 unions on the discharge piping of the pump (see red squares). One on the top of the pump and one on the horizontal section. Raise that 90 up that right on top of the pump. That way you could remove the entire section if you ever had to work on the pump or the filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Finally finished the new piping from pump to filter. I still have a very small leak from the top of pump, but the pump primes almost immediately. I have a shaft seal leak to tackle next weekend. Thanks to all for your help.
    [attachment=0:cvkhv6fq]resize new plumb.jpg[/attachment:cvkhv6fq]

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Get some cheap almond spray paint and protect those pipes.
    The sun will kill them with out it.
    Plus it makes the whole set look a lot nicer.

9. Back To Top    #9

PVC that isn't painted starts to look fairly awful after a while, but it doesn't fail just because of sunlight.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I plan to erect some type of sun shield for the equipment, will try the spray paint for a uniform look. Anyone know of a UV type of spray paint for PVC?

11. Back To Top    #11

Krylon Fusion is very good for PVC.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    PVC that isn't painted starts to look fairly awful after a while, but it doesn't fail just because of sunlight.

UV rays will degrade the plastic.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, UV will degrade the plastic, and it will look awful after a while, but it takes something over 100 years in a brightly sunlit location before it degrades enough to actually fail. No one will still have their original PVC after that long, so you don't need to worry about it failing.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Yes, UV will degrade the plastic, and it will look awful after a while, but it takes something over 100 years in a brightly sunlit location before it degrades enough to actually fail. No one will still have their original PVC after that long, so you don't need to worry about it failing.
    When I moved my equipment, I was surprised at how brittle the PVC that had been exposed to the sun had become. Certainly not to the point of failure, but sawing the pipe that had been exposed for a few years produced scallops where the material chipped away at the cut, while the new pipe or the pipe that had been underground produced the normal "fuzz" on the cut.

I was surprised at the difference. I don't believe it would make a difference in an undisturbed installation, but if your winterization process sees you flexing the pipe to get things disconnected, I could see a joint failing eventually due to it becoming brittle.

This is only one experience with one brand of pipe, but I believe that when combined with the esthetics of painted pipe, that it is worthwhile to paint the exposed PVC.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

I recently finished a pool that had been started over two years ago. All of the plumbing was left in open trenches.
    The pipe was so brittle when you moved it, it snapped, and you could take a rock and poke a hole in it easily. Obviously we replumbed the whole thing.
    PS. This is why it is required by local code to be painted. Sun here is brutal

Here is a little tech sheet on this for a two year study. http://www.pwpipe.com/literature/tb/tb-d9.pdf
    Though pipe may not fail, why would you want to risk damage when paint is so cheap.