Newbie ? about going from Aqua Smarte to BBB

Apr 4, 2011
We put up a new pool last year and used the Aqua Smarte system that Wason's sold to us. We really didn't have any problems what so ever with that system but from what I'm reading here the problems are yet to come. My question is how difficult would it be to convert over to the BBB system after being on the Aqua Smarte/Pool magic system for 1 year? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

It's no problem to switch over at all. Start by reading Pool School to get an idea of what you should be doing to maintain a pool. Then learn to use the Pool Calculator. Get a good test kit (there's a link in my sig for that).

Post back with any specific questions you may have.

Welcome to TFP!

It should be very simple to switch. The main thing is to get a copper test of the water. If the copper level is 0.3 or lower then you are all set and can simply start doing BBB without any special considerations.

Hum, Bama is faster this morning :)

You can buy copper tests online but your best bet is probably to take a sample to the pool store and have them test it since you're only going to need to do it once. Ask specifically if they can test for copper. Unless you're on a well you're not concerned with iron but if they can test for it you might as well get it tested while you're there.

Ok, will do! By the way I was going to ask earlier, about what would you expect me to spend a summer for chemicals using the BBB method. I know it depends on rainfall ammounts and a lot of factors but just a ballpark estimate is fine!

Thanks again for the help, I look forward to gaining a lot of usefull information here on TFP!!

During the heat of summer I spend a little over $50.00 per month on chlorine (I do not have a SWG). Cynanuic Acid and Muratic Acid are used only as needed and are harder to put a monthly figure on. If you divide the total dollars of these chemicals used in a year by 12 my guess is that it would equate to under $15.00 per month.

For my 16,000 gallon pool, it's around $15 per month with chlorine and a small amount of acid. However, I have a mostly opaque electric safety cover so even though the pool is used daily, the chlorine demand is around 1 ppm FC per day or less. If I had no cover or a clear bubble-type cover and more sunlight exposure, I'd probably have 1.5 to 2 ppm FC per day so costs would be up to $30 per month.

I use winter rain overflow to dilute the water each year (keeps the salt level down as well as built-up organics) so need to increase CH, CYA and borates so that's around $60 or so. Our swim season is around 7 months and chlorine usage is minimal during the off-season (around 1 ppm FC every 2 weeks) so total annual cost is around $165 in chemicals. The real operating cost for the pool is the pump electricity cost when using solar as annual cost is around $700, but our electric rates are high at 40 cents per kilowatt-hour marginal rate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The main thing to have is a top quality test kit. I recommend the TF100 from TFTestKits.net. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.

How much of the various chemicals you might need varies quite a bit from pool to pool. I try to keep some bleach, baking soda, borax, muriatic acid, and cyanuric acid/stabilizer on hand, but many years I only use two or three of them. Predicting what you are going to need is tricky without test results.

So for BBB starters would getting say 4 jugs of bleach, 2 boxes of baking soda, and 2 boxes of borax be a good place to start so I have some ready when my test kit comes. I have a hardware store in town where I can get basically any pool chemical ASAP if needed. I will order my test kit today.

Getting the bleach (or even more) is a good idea. Hold of on the Borax and Baking soda. Those two are used to ADJUST levels that may not need adjusting all summer and, even if they do, it doesn't have to be done immediately.

Chlorine is the one item that you will consume on a daily basis so having even a 2-3 week supply is just fine.

Ok, copper and iron tests revealed zeroes for both. I got my TF-100 test kit yesterday and didn't get a chance last night to test the water yet, however in the past couple days the water has turned green on the bottom. I do have my pump/filter going now but have yet to add any chems to it. Can I simply test the water now and add whatever I need to get to the proper levels or is there something special I need to do now with the algae?

My PH is like 6.6 my FC is 2 and my TC is 20 . I went to the poolcalculator and added the bleach that it told me to. I will get some Borax and baking soda in the morning. Am I going about this correctly?

Just checking on those numbers for a second.....TC is 20? You sure that's not supposed to be CYA or TA? The numbers seem off. Can you post a full set?

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

I'd recommend getting that ph fixed, but I think I want to see a full set of numbers first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.