What do I do next?

Mar 7, 2011
Columbia, SC
The pool is full of water!!! We are having concrete poured later this week weather permitting and fencing put up. Once the PB does final clean up, what do I need to do? They said that I can take a water sample to their shop and they will test it and tell me what to do but I am thinking I will just go with y'all!

Also, thinking of putting in SWG (compupool or similar). Would it be best to start with it hooked up or is it easier to add later?

What kind of pool surface do you have (plaster, vinyl, fiberglass, pebble, etc)?

Did the builder give you any instructions?

Do you have a good water test kit?

For a plaster pool you want to wait 30 days before turning on any SWG. Otherwise, things will be slightly simpler if you add it right away, but the difference is small.

We have a vinyl lined 16x36. The PB hasn't given us any instruction yet. Just to wait until after they do the final cleanup to take the sample into the shop for instructions (and to hopefully purchase a ridiculous amount of products from them).
I haven't purchased a test water kit yet. Any you would recommend? I would prefer to do all the treatment myself...along with the help of you guys, of course.
As far as vinyl lined pools go, it is fine to begin with SWG. Which is best?

As soon as the pool is full and the pump is able to run, start adding 2 ppm of chlorine each evening (and run the pump during chemical additions and for at least an hour afterwards). Continue doing this until the second chlorine addition after adding CYA. At that point you can switch over to measuring the FC level and adding an appropriate amount of chlorine based on your CYA level. You can also start raising the CYA level up to between 30 and 50 (for now).

Everything else depends on getting water test results. I recommend the TF100 from TFTestKits.net. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.

There are many choices of SWG depending on your budget. The CompuPool is a nice basic unit. The AquaRite is better and more expensive. The AutoPilot Digital is probably the best and the most expensive. There are other choices as well, but those are the three I tend to recommend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.