Is the Polaris in-line filter necessary?

Jul 30, 2007
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
When we moved in to the house I didn't know anything about pools. (I've learned a lot since then, thanks to TFP!) I was recently looking at the schematics for the Polaris 380 and noticed the in-line filter (http://www.poolproducts4less.com/Polari ... 8-080.aspx). My Polaris has never had this part and I've never had a clogging problem. It seems the filter in the Quick Disconnect does the job and this extra part is unnecessary. It's not cheap and neither are the replacement filters. It's also something else that can get clogged easily and decrease the performance of the Polaris (since it seems to filter fine particles that wouldn't otherwise clog the Polaris jets). Any opinions?

That filter is handy sometimes, but hardly necessary. If everything is setup correctly there shouldn't be anything in the line for it to filter out. If, for some reason, you are getting debris in the line reguarly the filter is invaluable, otherwise skip it.

On the 280s/380s, my recommendation is to leave it there - if it's not getting anything in it, it doesn't affect flow. If it is, it's preventing the jets in the Polaris from clogging up - which are a real pain to clear. On the 360s, the holes on the jets are much larger and more difficult to clog, so I always pull the screen out.

My $0.002.

- Jeff

taekwondodo said:
On the 280s/380s, my recommendation is to leave it there - if it's not getting anything in it, it doesn't affect flow. If it is, it's preventing the jets in the Polaris from clogging up - which are a real pain to clear. On the 360s, the holes on the jets are much larger and more difficult to clog, so I always pull the screen out.

My $0.002.

- Jeff
THIS! Though I say leave it in there reguardless of the model.

The reason I take it out on 360s, is because most of them in our area are plumbed behind the Jandy Energy Filter, just south of the pump - bypassing/before the main filter. The JEFs let a lot of very fine material through which clog up the 360 screens a lot... so if I don't pull them, the sweep shuts down because of the clogged filter and I show up to a "less than clean" pool.

I've never had a 360 problem with out the screen because the holes are ~3/16" and all the fine material blows right into the bag.

280s and 38s without the screen however, are just asking for their 1/16" hole to get plugged - and that's a real pain to clean as you have to disassemble the cleaner, clear the holes, and then flush water backwards through them.

I would have one or the other in there for sure. If you have the filter installed in the wall fitting there is no reason for the in-line screen and vice versa. The wall fitting screen is just the older way of doing it. All new Polaris units have the in-line screen.

I have a 360 and apparently there is no 'in-hose' filter available. I had to remove the filter in the pool wall since I am no longer able to get down to clean it (or to be more specific, get up again). The other day, my 360 stopped working, the jets were plugged with debris. How all that stuff gets passed the Energy Filter is beyond me, but it happens. Does anyone have any ideas how I can kludge up an in-hose filter for the 360?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.