Pool heat pump recommendations

Jul 29, 2009
Winnipeg,Canada
We have a 16x38 IG pool and am trying to figure out what would be the best heat source for the money. After doing some research I believe a heat pump would work the best but have been having a hard time narrowing it down on a make and model.
Could someone advise the +/- of different ones.

It may depend on the length of your pool season (which months are the pool opened), your desired temperature, whether you will be using a solar cover over your pool or not, and how many hours per day your pump is operating?
I manufacture the AquaCal Heat Pumps, the oldest and largest pool heat pump manufacturer in the World. So naturally I would say your only choice would be the SuperQuite Heat Wave!
OK, back to being a neutral respondent, you should look for several features:
- COP (Coefficiency Of Operation) which is a measurement of efficiency. Minimum standards under cold weather conditions (50 degrees) is 4.0 COP. At 80 degrees, COP should be in the 6.0+ range, for efficient systems.
- Heat Exchanger Design and Material. Most manufacturers are using Titanium, which is virtually impervious to chemical attack. Therefore, most offer a longer warranty on the heat exchanger, or lifetime, as in my case
- Sound Characteristics. Imagine where your heat pump may be located. If its going to be close to your house, expecially close to a bedroom or window, heat pumps are generally noisy, like an air conditioning unit. Some are Extremely quite, as in my case. ; )
- BTU Output. The questions I asked will determine how many BTU's will be needed to reach your desired temperature.
- Warranty, Service, and Support. How long is warranty coverage...and when you do have an issue, who handles the service call?

I wish I could recommend aqualcal heat pumps - they have the highest AHRI (certification org) measured output (BTU) and efficiency (COP).
Ours was up for a couple weeks and then died - which I can handle, it's possible it's not setup correctly or we're running it at too high a temperature with the spa.
My concern is that it's been over a week and we still have not had someone from aqualcal out to look at it. It took 4 days just to get someone on the phone.

With Jandy, I have always been able to get someone on the phone on the first call - and they have been here the same or next day to help. Their pumps, while not as efficient as the aqualcal units, are still very good.

I recommend that you browse the heat pump certs at the AHRI website. My assumption is that they provide an objective performance assessment.

Hi Shakenbake,

If you would please e-mail me ([email protected]) or PM me your personal information (Full Name, Address, and phone number that you would have called in the service call on) so I can follow up and find out what happened, I would greatly appreciate it. I take it personally when I hear something like this happening. AquaCal is not my company, but when I hear of a displeased customer, it is a reflection on me, as an employee of the company.
Our policy is to answer all phone calls, but on occasion, you may get stuck on the taped message. Rarely does someone not get called back at least by the next business day (although I will admit that it sometimes does happen). Also, any WARRANTY service call is suppose to have someone contact them back within 72 hrs to schedule an appoinment. Any NEW installations and fail on fire-ups get priority over all calls and are usually serviced within 48 hrs. Running a couple of weeks I would consider a new installation.
I'm dissapointed to hear that it took 4 days to get a human on the phone. SO, please let me find out where we failed at taking care of your heat pump.

I think there are several on here that will atest to me answering my cell phone at almost anytime, when they needed my assistance. Even on weekends! YIKES. Just please don't let my wife know.

Thanks,

Mike518, we have a free pool heat audit sizing program that you can download, enter your parameters, and it will tell you which AquaCal heat pump would be able to heat your pool sufficiently. If you have your electrical cost (per kilowatt) and cost for gas (Natural or LP), it will give you a cost comparison between the two. If you're not interested in a comparison because you don't have a gas heater, or are not considering a gas heater, put any value in the price field.

http://www.aquacal.com look along the right column for the Heat Pump Sizing Program link.

If you have any questions on the program, let me know.

BTW - the last video on the home page is me interviewing a Condo Board of Directors President. :party: :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mike,
no formal dealers set up in Canada. However, the Aquapro units are manufacturered by AquaCal and have very similar characteristics. These are available through the Costco network. They have contractors set up for installation.
I'll keep inquiring as to if we do have AquaCal dealers in your area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.