Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crazy Coriolis Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Crazy Coriolis Question

Ok, so me and a few friends were having a some last night and the question of the Coriolis Effect came up in regards to pool care. The question was " Do you try to rotate all the water in the pool with the return jets pointed in a clock wise or counter clock wise direction and would the Coriolis effect give the entire pool water a "push" in the clockwise direction?" or " would this only have any effect if you were draining the pool with the main drain? " I know its a crazy/slightly foolish question, but none of us have pool care experience so it went unanswered.
    Anton and Michele

11.5K Gallon (14X30), In Ground Fiberglass Pool, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorinator, Hayward Super II 1 hp Pump, Hayward Star Clear Plus 90sqf Cartridge Filter, TF100 Test Kit, BBB
    Well ok, the construction is still ongoing but i just want to dump SOME bleach in that dang pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crazy Coriolis Question

I'd say you had a few too many!

It doesn't matter which way you decide for the water to go. You aim the eyeball(s) that direction and it'll go that way. Draining with the MD won't cause enough of an effect that you can tell as it's orders of magnitude smaller than the pool volume so the coriolis effect won't move that much water until you get almost empty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You are correct in that we had a few to many.......we painted my back yard with yellow spray paint because we wanted to see how the pool would look ( the dig and pool delivery are Thursday) and ended up sitting in the "pool" most of the night.....oh my aching head

Thank you for your response, i was almost to embarrassed to ask,lol
    Anton and Michele

11.5K Gallon (14X30), In Ground Fiberglass Pool, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorinator, Hayward Super II 1 hp Pump, Hayward Star Clear Plus 90sqf Cartridge Filter, TF100 Test Kit, BBB
    Well ok, the construction is still ongoing but i just want to dump SOME bleach in that dang pool

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I have pondered and discussed the Coriolis Effect with friends many times and have never, NEVER felt very good the next morning.

So, do toilets in the Southern hemisphere swirl opposite those in the Northern hemisphere when flushed?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

So ponder this! When a plane or a boat crosses the equator and a toliet is flushing does it stop and swirl the other way
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Dave S Speakes the truth........there are mysteries in the universe that only seem to come up when margaritas are involved.

Dave J is making me want to go jump into my Spray Painted Lawn pool again It looks like a gang of pool hooligans tagged my back yard.
    Anton and Michele

7. Back To Top    #7

The Coriolis effect with respects to bathtubs and toilets (and pools) is a myth. The effect is so small that it doesn't effect bodies of water smaller than an ocean and of course it effects hurricanes.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    So, do toilets in the Southern hemisphere swirl opposite those in the Northern hemisphere when flushed?
    I've never noticed a difference. Last time I was south of the equator, I made it a point to check. The toilet still flushed counter-clockwise I was disappointed
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

The effect is so small that it doesn't effect bodies of water smaller than an ocean
    Last time I was south of the equator, I made it a point to check. The toilet still flushed counter-clockwise
    Double Bummer!! Next, you'll be tellin' me the Abominable Snowman isn't real. Obviously, you have never seen "Harry and the Hendersons"
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I prefer to believe it does has an effect.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

11. Back To Top    #11

Sure, it has some effect. You can even measure the effect at home if you are very careful. However, other effects dominate what happens. If there is any spin to the water at all before you start draining that spin will almost certainly be much larger than what the Coriolis contribution will be.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School