Seeking new pool filter system, any recommendations?

cflannagan

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2011
Palm Harbor, Florida
Had pool service for about 6 years (two different home/pools), and we are now taking care of our pool ourselves. For a bit of background on current problem our pool is having: problem-locations-around-pool-has-sand-like-dirt-collection-t29522.html

Basically, there is a hole in one of the filter grids, and it was causing debris to return to our pool. I've wrapped around the hole/grid with a duct tape, so it should lessen that problem somewhat, but it's a MacGyver fix until we put in a real fix.

We also notice other filter grids are about to become worn out as well and start causing problems like that one with hole

The cost to replace each filter grid seems to be significant, each about $20-$40. Plus, for some reason the pipe that the filter grid set is attached to is screwed on so bleeping tight that not even a big monkey wrench could loosen it up. And to add to the list of problems, the guy who came to our house to fix a leaking problem applied some sort of lubricant to the O-ring, and I learned today reading the manual that O-ring is not supposed to have lubricants added to it, it attracts dirt/grit, and doing so would void warranty. Right now, the unit is leaking a bit of water off the sides.

I feel that perhaps we would rather have this old unit replaced with a cartridge filter system, willing to pay up to $500-$600 for one. Easier to maintain, and no backwashing. And best of all, I get to "start fresh", knowing only I myself can screw up this system and no one else (meaning I'll maintain it myself without contractors making it worse).

Any recommendations? That service guy we had mentioned Clean & Clear 150 model, but I looked it up and it appears to be for above ground pool, or did I read that wrong?

The Clean and Clear Plus series goes up to 520 sqft.

The 200 is enough, and just fine for use with an in-ground pool, but even larger is better. Larger filters filter better and can go significantly longer between cleanings.

Thanks for the replies - and what about Hayward Star-Clear Plus series?

I'm considering the 175 since it's what they have in stock (didn't have Clean and Clear, and I wanted a new filter system installed ASAP because our filtration system is now leaking water in addition to filtering problems).

If I'm stressing too much over choice of cartridge filter system (Hayward vs Pentair vs etc), please let me know - just wanted to make sure I'm not buying a lemon. :-D

Lastly, I have a 1-HP Franklin Electric motor, is this a factor in choosing which filtering system I go with?

I don't think that either Hayward or Pentair is better or worse than the other. If I were shopping, I would get the largest I could afford and that will fit in my equipment space. It really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.