Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Seeking new pool filter system, any recommendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Seeking new pool filter system, any recommendations?

Had pool service for about 6 years (two different home/pools), and we are now taking care of our pool ourselves. For a bit of background on current problem our pool is having: problem-locations-around-pool-has-sand-like-dirt-collection-t29522.html

Basically, there is a hole in one of the filter grids, and it was causing debris to return to our pool. I've wrapped around the hole/grid with a duct tape, so it should lessen that problem somewhat, but it's a MacGyver fix until we put in a real fix.

We also notice other filter grids are about to become worn out as well and start causing problems like that one with hole

The cost to replace each filter grid seems to be significant, each about $20-$40. Plus, for some reason the pipe that the filter grid set is attached to is screwed on so bleeping tight that not even a big monkey wrench could loosen it up. And to add to the list of problems, the guy who came to our house to fix a leaking problem applied some sort of lubricant to the O-ring, and I learned today reading the manual that O-ring is not supposed to have lubricants added to it, it attracts dirt/grit, and doing so would void warranty. Right now, the unit is leaking a bit of water off the sides.

I feel that perhaps we would rather have this old unit replaced with a cartridge filter system, willing to pay up to $500-$600 for one. Easier to maintain, and no backwashing. And best of all, I get to "start fresh", knowing only I myself can screw up this system and no one else (meaning I'll maintain it myself without contractors making it worse).

Any recommendations? That service guy we had mentioned Clean & Clear 150 model, but I looked it up and it appears to be for above ground pool, or did I read that wrong?
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Seeking new pool filter system, any recommendations?

The Clean & Clear is a good filter but I'd go with a much larger size. Especially since it's a cartridge.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Clean and Clear only goes up to 200 - would that suffice? (I know next to nothing when it comes to this)

What GPM am I looking for, for our pool size (18,000 gallons)?
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

The Clean and Clear Plus series goes up to 520 sqft.

The 200 is enough, and just fine for use with an in-ground pool, but even larger is better. Larger filters filter better and can go significantly longer between cleanings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies - and what about Hayward Star-Clear Plus series?

I'm considering the 175 since it's what they have in stock (didn't have Clean and Clear, and I wanted a new filter system installed ASAP because our filtration system is now leaking water in addition to filtering problems).

If I'm stressing too much over choice of cartridge filter system (Hayward vs Pentair vs etc), please let me know - just wanted to make sure I'm not buying a lemon.

Lastly, I have a 1-HP Franklin Electric motor, is this a factor in choosing which filtering system I go with?

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think that either Hayward or Pentair is better or worse than the other. If I were shopping, I would get the largest I could afford and that will fit in my equipment space. It really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

That helps, thanks!

I am assuming my motor HP should not be a factor in buying a new filter system? Current one does it job well with our current filter system that is about to be replaced.