Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with a DE filter.

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with a DE filter.

Thanks for the information you posted.

I am having a problem with my Hayward DE filter (36sqf). It can not hold earth at all. When cleaned it up, put filter grid back, close the cover, start pump, put earth in skimmer, all earth returned back to the pool, and make it so cloudy. I did this job for so many years, never have this problem. But since several month ago after used Phos Free. Phos free killed my filter grid, so I replaced old with new filter grids. Then problem came out.

Could some one shed light on this? I reaaly appreciate.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with a DE filter.

The problem started after you replaced the grids?

Open the filter and carefully inspect each grid.
    Check to be sure all the grids are placed correctly into the top manifold with the short filter in the correct location.
    When you assemble the grids into "nest" configuration, be sure the top manifold fits securely over each grid connector.
    Don't forget the washer and nut on top of the manifold.
    Check for a crack in the top manifold.
    Check to be sure the air relief assembly on the top of the manifold is still connected and in good working condition.
    Be sure the top manifold fits securely over the outlet elbow.

Post pictures and I am sure someone will be able to spot the problem.

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Southern California

Re: Help with a DE filter.

Yep, make sure you took a careful look at every single grid, i know gridpacks can be a pain in the ***, but you've gotta thoroughly inspect your grids, manifold, etc. It's probably a simple fix, something torn or cracked, etc.