Sand filter question

I noticed in my manual they recommend a chemical cleaning occasionally. Is this necessary, and could it be part of my issue? Since the filter was installed in '89, I have no idea what the pressure was at first start. Right now it runs about 15psi clean and I usually backflush when it starts approaching 25psi. It's hanging at 20psi right now, I backflushed 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Chemical cleaning is only normally needed if a lot of sun tan lotion or oil or makeup is accumulating in the filter. The other long term risk is calcium scaling inside the filter, which can cause the sand to clump and essentially turn into rock and stop filtering nearly as well. Both situations are quite rare.

If you haven't looked inside the filter in years you might want to open it up and see what the sand looks like and gently rinse things out. See this post for some guidelines.

RobbieH said:
I noticed in my manual they recommend a chemical cleaning occasionally. Is this necessary, and could it be part of my issue? Since the filter was installed in '89, I have no idea what the pressure was at first start. Right now it runs about 15psi clean and I usually backflush when it starts approaching 25psi. It's hanging at 20psi right now, I backflushed 2 or 3 weeks ago.
Are you saying the filter hasn't been opened in 22years? Oh why not blow the budget and open it and check the internals (laterals etc) whilst you are there.

Buddy just left, lateral(s) are broken. As someone said before, it's not that much more to just go ahead and replace the 22 year old filter. I ordered my new T100 sand filter and 600 lbs of sand. We are doing the work next week.

Thanks all who helped. Sometimes just have to go ahead and do things right. If I can get another 20 years out of the new one, I'll be happy.

Just got done installing the new filter, another TC100.

Noticed several differences between the old one and the new one. The old one had a tiny hole at the top, the new one has a HUGE one, much easier to get in and service. The drain must be 20x as big at the bottom compared to the old one.

Didn't see anything broken on the laterals, hub, or anywhere along the way, but the new filter is putting water out clear as a bell. No more huge clouds!

BTW, if you are going to clean out an old sand filter, I found the best way to do it on the old ones (there's no room to put much more than a teacup in through the top) is to Sawzall the top of the filter off. I had it cleaned out in no time.

Now I'm going back out to hook up my Liquidator that showed up yesterday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.