Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Built in gas grill - recommendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Built in gas grill - recommendations?

We have decided to add a small outdoor kitchen to our pool build. It will be fairly simple - about 6.5 ft straight along a brick wall.

In order to get a little bit of counter space, we intend to get a grill no more than about 30" wide. It will be run on natural gas.

We have looked at Weber (have one now that we love but their built in versions require 24" behind the grill!), DCS, Viking, Bull, Summerset and some others but there seem to be more names in that business than anybody can follow.

Can anybody share their experience (good or bad) with built in grills?
    Right now we are very confused and hoping to find one in the next week or so.
    22000 gallon IGP, 820 sqft, SWG - IC60, infinity edge spa, Pentair Quad DE 100, 3 x Pentair Intelliflow 4x160 pumps (one for circulation + one for spa + one for sheer descents), spa with 8 jets + 4 leg jets, air blower, Pentair EasyTouch 8 remote, Pentair Intellibrites LED (white) - 2 in pool and 1 in spa, Pentair Master Temp 400,000 btu heater, 4 sheer descents (2x2', 2x6'), limestone coping and decking, Pebblesheen Prism Blue

Useful links:
    Pool Chemistry
    Chlorine reactions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Built in gas grill - recommendations?

I have a FireMagic and I love it. The poor thing has been out in the elements for over 3 years and it still looks good. Lots of people like the Char-Broil RED Infrared grills. I've seen people take a 'Cart' type grill and make a permanent structure around it.

Check out this site:

http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboar ... owforum=47
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

3. Back To Top    #3

We have a summerset and so far it works great and it is not as expensive as Viking and others. It came with our outdoor kitchen. Look in the sig bar for this install. Hope this helps
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input. We went with a Napoleon. It had gotten good reviews in the forum that Nightmare pointed to. We also looked at DCS which had gotten very good reviews but it did not have a thermometer(!) and only 2 burners. The Napoleon is made in Canada so I hope the quality is OK.
    They just made the structure of cinder blocks yesterday so now it needs to be tiled and granite countertop added. We can't wait......
    22000 gallon IGP, 820 sqft, SWG - IC60, infinity edge spa, Pentair Quad DE 100, 3 x Pentair Intelliflow 4x160 pumps (one for circulation + one for spa + one for sheer descents), spa with 8 jets + 4 leg jets, air blower, Pentair EasyTouch 8 remote, Pentair Intellibrites LED (white) - 2 in pool and 1 in spa, Pentair Master Temp 400,000 btu heater, 4 sheer descents (2x2', 2x6'), limestone coping and decking, Pebblesheen Prism Blue

Useful links:
    Pool Chemistry
    Chlorine reactions

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a Napoleon as well. That is what I was going to recommend. For me the price/quality were just right. Hope you enjoy it. I coupled mine with a Big Green Egg and couldn't be happier. They are both get built into an outdoor kitchen as we speak. Now I just have to find time to finish.

Riles
    16x32 IG vinyl, 19,000 gal, 1.0 hp pump, sand filter, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, diving board, slide

6. Back To Top    #6

For future interested members stay away from Viking. I bought their top of the line unit and it has been a POS since year one. I have had a half a dozen sear burners go bad and after five years it rusted completely through in spots. Their warranty, even the lifetime on stainless, is worthless. I get mad every time I look at it...
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry to hear about that DC. I think that sounds outrageous for the price tag that those Viking grills come with. It was at least twice the price as far as I remember.
    So we got the Napoleon and it seems fine - it has not been installed yet but I will follow up.

Useful links:
    Pool Chemistry
    Chlorine reactions

8. Back To Top    #8

The Napoleon looks like a very nice grill. I would probably get a Lynx as it has the best warranty that I have found. Lifetime without pro-rating of major parts. The ceramic burners crack in 3-5 years and need replacing. I've always loved infra-red. I owned the original TEC grill but foolishly decided to "upgrade" to Viking when we moved to a new house. Be careful when you get started. Cooking at 1800 degrees takes some getting used to.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir