Pool Filter Intake

Sep 29, 2010
First off when it comes to pool repair I am a noob, so I would rather ask the questions and do the job right then have to re do the job... (When it comes to sprinkler systems, I can work all day long on them on the other hand with a pool and the chemicals that are used I would rather ask questions)

Little bit of history and a couple of questions....

I was cleaning my filter and reinstalling, I primed the pump and fired up the filter it came up to operating PSI (about 11psi, which is normal) I then shut it down this is where where I had an issue...

The issue is with the the intake pipe comes out of the ground rises about 10 inches and makes a 90 degree turn into the basket
IMAG0046.jpg

when I turned off the filter the glued connection at the cement let go and whole unit bounced about three times relieving the pressure of the system, allowing water to escape, which I was able to duplicate again.

*** on a side note*** I had a problem about 6 months ago where the line was plugged and I was not able to snake it clean, so I had to hire someone to come in and clean it out. In doing so he cut the intake line and cleaned out the pipe, and also reinstalled the white piece of PVC pipe. (which looks like cr@p but I just need to paint it Black)

So basically the connection at the cement needs to be re glued.

My questions are:
Do I need to uses a special PVC glue for the reinstall? (I don't want to have to do this again)
There are 2 rings that go into the basket, I am assuming that I loosen the larger ring and then the smaller ring. Hopefully the whole unit should lift straight up? Has anyone seen a setup like this?

Any thoughts would be MUCH APPRECIATED...

Frank

Just use regular glue and primer and be sure to let it set long enough. Rotate the connection as you're reainstalling it to spread the glue around the fittings.

All you need to do is loosen the large ring and slide it back and the pipe should pull strainght up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.