Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Build, Equipment Pad Questions.

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Build, Equipment Pad Questions.

We are new new new to all of this!! Oh yeah! I would like to know how big is the area where your pump,filter, heater? One builder says an area of 8ft long by 3 ft wide. this sounds huge to me and would interfere with the "look" of an adjacent courtyard.
    Can you let me know?
    Thank you
    My random swimming gear rant.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New Pool Build, Equipment Pad Questions.

You can pack things in pretty tight if you have to, but it is much nicer if you have the room to spread things out a little. If you only have one pump, a heater, and a filter, you could get it down to 3x6 without too much trouble. Going smaller than that is possible, but starts to lead to things being harder to get at. If you have additional equipment you haven't mentioned, then 3x8 is probably a great idea.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

You want to leave enough room to service the equipment. You don't want to be banging your knuckles and elbows into things just to clean a filter! Down the line you may want to add additional equipment. You can always disguise the pad area.

You may find this thread interesting!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Riverside, CA

My pad is fairly big and I only have 1 pump. On advice from TFP I asked the PB to leave me room to work on the equipment and add a SWG and maybe another item. I also have an extra 3-way valve with 2 future output lines (fountain and ?).

The interior of the wall is just over 10 feet long by about 40" deep. The equipment and valves stick out past 5 feet.

My hill helps to hide the equipment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)

5. Back To Top    #5

I visited a neighbor and their size for equipment is 3x6. I can very well understand how you would want elbow room with all the tubes coming from everywehre. So I will be redesigning the courtyard corner to fit the 3x8. If it's smaller, great! If not then I rather have the room as you all have said. Once we start this I will take pics and post
    thank you!
    My random swimming gear rant.